• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Web Developer Instrested In developing Games

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mithu Developer   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hi ,

I am a Web developer and instrested in developing games for all platforms.. I dont know how to start in with game development.

I know HTML, CSS, PHP & JAVASCRIPT and little bit of mySql .. Can anyone help me..

Sponsor:

#2 SillyCow   Members   -  Reputation: 883

2Likes

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

What kind of game do you wish to develop?

With your skill-set, there are two types of games you should try to develop:

1. Tic Tac Toe - Website using PHP and cookies.

or:

2. Pong using Javascript and HTML5 Canvas.

If you are going with 2, I suggest you learn how to use JavaScript really well. Doing games requires more knowledge than web-forms.

Here is a very simple link to something almost game-like: http://sixrevisions.com/html/bouncing-a-ball-around-with-html5-and-javascript/

Here is a more complicated link with user input: http://cssdeck.com/labs/ping-pong-game-tutorial-with-html5-canvas-and-sounds

Disclosure, I've never used these specific link, I just searched google for "HTML5 pong" and verified that the explanations seem legit.

The one problem with canvas though, is that it works kinda slow on Androids. So don't expect your first games to be multi-platform. Also, HTML renderers on all mobile platforms are weak relative to native code. But since you allready know HTML, it will be an easy landing for you.

My new android game : Enemies of the Crown

My previous android game : Killer Bees

#3 Nishant95   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

i am looking for new developer ... [edited by moderator]

Edited by Tom Sloper, 01 July 2013 - 12:22 PM.
recruiting

#4 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10070

2Likes

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

Nishant, please don't hijack threads, and please use the Classifieds for your recruiting efforts.

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#5 Mithu Developer   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

Thnks Tom 

I have decided to work  HTML5 Canvas.

And is there any video tutorials related to html canvas

#6 shadowisadog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2551

1Likes

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

I think this is what you are looking for: Learn HTML5 Game Development at Udacity

#7 Mithu Developer   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:50 AM

thanx shaowisadog..

#8 mfdesigner   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:46 AM

We are making a game engine for the web.  It still in early beta but is quite stable. (It is free and only takes a minute to register.)

It is completely based on web technologies (Javascript, jQuery, HTML, & WebGL).

If you are a beginner and want to show off your work quickly without needing them to download installer and plugins, you may want

to take a look at our engine.

This is a sample 3D scene created using our platform using only 41 lines of javascript.(use mouse to rotate scene.)

Here is a few promo videos:

3DScene.png

BraveWeb.png

#9 Mithu Developer   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

woow nice

nice post.. and i viewed the site ..wonderful 3d designs. Can u explain how tat i can integrate these designs to my mobile..

#10 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

1Likes

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

I think this is what you are looking for: Learn HTML5 Game Development at Udacity

I've been in that course and I can't recommend it. It wasn't very good.
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#11 j-locke   Members   -  Reputation: 820

1Likes

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

I agree with that. I went through it just a couple of months ago. Way too many errors in the lessons, the problems, and the automated solution checker.

#12 mfdesigner   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

woow nice

nice post.. and i viewed the site ..wonderful 3d designs. Can u explain how tat i can integrate these designs to my mobile..

It runs fine in Chrome and Firefox browsers.

Have tested on Windows 8 tablet and it runs fine.

Have not tested it on Android devices. But since Chrome browser is quite compatible cross devices. 

I do not anticipate any issue if you stick with chrome.

Safari on iPad is another target that we will work on, but currently we are targeting IE 9- 10.

On your mobile device, you can always check to see if the following links work:

https://www.otakhi.com/public/otakhi/Scenes/Mayan%20Ruin

https://www.otakhi.com/public/otakhi/Scenes/Ruins%20Entrance

https://www.otakhi.com/public/otakhi/Scenes/Old%20House

https://www.otakhi.com/public/otakhi/Scenes/Palm%20Trees

if they work, most likely the editor works as well.

And this is what you do to create an app and publish it to a link for public access (like above):

(1) register at https://www.otakhi.com/otakhi/_vault/_signon.php?type=enroll

(2) Log in

(3) create a folder

(4) drag all the models you want to use from the repository into that folder.

(5) merge them in Condenser and save it as index.html to the same folder.

(5a) delete all the droplets that you acquired in step (4), since they are now merged into your index.html formation.

(6) create a favicon.png (roughly 80x80px in size) and put it in the same folder.

(7) right click the folder and select 'Make App'.  The folder is now being treated as a web site.

(8) right click the folder and select 'Publish...'.  Fill in required info in the dialog and click 'Publish'.

(9) Your work will appear in the repository listed as an App.

(10) share its embed URL and invite friends to visit.

Your application embed URL has the following structure:

https://www.otakhi.com/public/your_user_id/local_path_to_your_app_folder

Edited by mfdesigner, 04 July 2013 - 07:09 AM.

#13 Mithu Developer   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

I agree with that. I went through it just a couple of months ago. Way too many errors in the lessons, the problems, and the automated solution checker.

I have started the course in udacity.. Will  i stop it..Or  is there any other tutorials related to html5 game development Other than Undacity..

#14 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

0Likes

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

Try this.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#15 Eamonn Rea   Members   -  Reputation: 54

0Likes

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:20 AM

If you know JavaScript, then I'd highly recommend JawsJS. It's really straightforward for 2D games. If you end up making a fair bit of money, or have $99 to spend, check out impactJS. I've never used it, but it seems to be the way to go for serious web game development.

EDIT: I didn't realise this, but you can develop iOS Games in JavaScript using impact as well! The more you know...

Edited by Eamonn Rea, 07 July 2013 - 07:04 AM.

#16 mfdesigner   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

This scene, a virtual desktop, takes only 17 lines of javascript to make by reusing 3D meshes, materials, and lights ... most work went into object placement.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS