2D grid based strategy engine

Started by
2 comments, last by maximo1491 10 years, 9 months ago

Hey guys, I'm sure this question has been asked a hundred times before but after a quick look through the posts I cant really find anything, I recently participated in the Brains Eden game jam and afterwards I really just want to expand the game we made for it!

What I am wondering is if their is a 2D engine you can recommend for me to use or is it better to make my own one, which I am fine with just obviously there is no point doing it if there is a perfectly good tool already out there! The style of the game has an age of empires feel but will be a more modern day equivalent, the plan is to have quite a big map so obviously when all the AI and pathfinding come into play some performance problems could be an issue! Any suggestions you guys have would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Obviously didnt look very hard just found this in the beginner section, would rather build this game in C++ as well which I forgot to mention but have got experience in C# and js!

Advertisement

tbh if you have experience in C# I'd use Monogame / XNA and build your own.

Is there a reason you want todo this in C++? does it need to be in C++?

I think if you went with c++ you spend more time learning the language and building a solid base than actually making a game.

If you have experience in C#, XNA would be great for you to make an engine. You don't have to worry about any API specific stuff and get straight to building the engine. The only downfall is XNA has alot of things happening behind the scenes, but those things are what make it so easy to use.

Thanks for the replies guys, and no it doesnt have to be C++ but I used it for the last couple of years at uni using DirectX and OpenGL just though that would be a good base, heard that SDL is pretty good do you guys recommend that? or go with c# and xna?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement