• Create Account

Recommended SDL beginners books

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 VaugeCookie   Members   -  Reputation: 303

0Likes

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:48 AM

hi people, your friendly neighbourhood noob here, 

i am currently learning C++ via home study courses and i have come across SDL from various peoples threads etc,

im now going to womble off and buy my 2nd book.... and 1st SDL book i have seen a few good looking ones out there and although you can never have to much literature, you can have not enough money, 

i have grasped the basics of C++, i can read and understand code basics, and have dabbled in a few coding example but nothing graphical

what book would u fine people recommend to add to my collection? bearing in mind i am noobier then noob

thanks in advanced

Sponsor:

#2 Sunda   Members   -  Reputation: 330

1Likes

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

You can always try the good old classic:

http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/

#3 VaugeCookie   Members   -  Reputation: 303

0Likes

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

yeah i am working my way through them now,

this is what has sparked my interest in getting some decent books on the subject

#4 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1471

1Likes

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

SDL Game Development

Focus on SDL

I haven't read either of these books, they are just the two first on amazon.

The first book has no reviews yet, the second book has a few, but people tend to say that it leaves a lot of holes, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue since you are using the online tutorials along with the book.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#5 VaugeCookie   Members   -  Reputation: 303

0Likes

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

cheers mate, i was eying up the SDL Game Development one, il take a punt and see how it goes, 

#6 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17207

1Likes

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:35 AM

Let us know what you think of it so we can give a more informed response next time! smile.png

#7 Karsten_   Members   -  Reputation: 1446

1Likes

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:03 AM

This is perhaps slightly off topic but I have seen a user on these forums called lazyfoo, not sure if it is the same guy. If it is and he is reading this, it would be awesome to turn the lazy foo tutorials into a book! I would definately buy a bunch and give it out to students ;)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

#8 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17207

1Likes

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:00 AM

I have seen a user on these forums called lazyfoo, not sure if it is the same guy

It is. smile.png  He may or may not come across this topic though.

#9 Ludus   Members   -  Reputation: 966

0Likes

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

Let us know what you think of it so we can give a more informed response next time! smile.png

I second this notion. This book was published less than a couple weeks ago, which is why it has no reviews yet. It looks fairly comprehensive judging by the table of contents, and it uses SDL 2.0 (of which there are few tutorials of on the internet since it has not seen an official release yet). For those reasons I may have to look into this book myself.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS