Really, Google? Really?

Started by
19 comments, last by swiftcoder 10 years, 9 months ago

You know, I heard that evils like texting, social media and the nefarious autocorrect were dumbing down civilization and contributing to the inevitable day when robot overlords rule us all, but I didn't believe it until I saw it for myself...

[attachment=16654:GoogleDocsThief.png]

And to think Google, of all noble organizations, is involved. For shame!

--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement

Are you sure that's Google's spellcheck and not your browser's? Potentially accepting a typo as correct?

Are you sure that's Google's spellcheck and not your browser's? Potentially accepting a typo as correct?

That looks like Chrome to me, so either way it's Google.

It is a stupid thing or a brilliant thing, depending on how it hits you. They pull common spellings (or in this case misspellings) from the web to feed their dictionary so they don't need to buy static word lists from everybody in every language. It is either bad (you get misspellings) or good (you get new slang added instantly). Or maybe both are bad.

It's like autocomplete, only as a spell check.

I can't but feel this should have been Rogue Vs Rouge

It is a stupid thing or a brilliant thing, depending on how it hits you. They pull common spellings (or in this case misspellings) from the web to feed their dictionary so they don't need to buy static word lists from everybody in every language. It is either bad (you get misspellings) or good (you get new slang added instantly). Or maybe both are bad.

It's like autocomplete, only as a spell check.

I wonder if that creates a negative feedback loop. People already can't spel, and they're supported by a spelcheker that does even worse. So they spel more bad on their webseites which feeds the spelcheker.

Oh darn...

Possibly, you've made that spelling mistake more than once and have changed its dictionary? :P

Possibly, you've made that spelling mistake more than once and have changed its dictionary? tongue.png

This happens to me all the time on iOS. If you accidentally override the spellcheck when it tries to correct you, it seems to automatically learns the word you were typing...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

hmm maybe...

"teh internets be teh new authorety 4 spelin!"

soon enough it starts auto-correcting things to "kewl" and "dewd" and "leet"... (or maybe "k3wl", "d3wd", "l33t", ...).

It is a stupid thing or a brilliant thing, depending on how it hits you.

Wow. Just wow. I had no idea that it worked like that. So rather than pulling the culture up to a higher standard, which is what references are supposed to do, they're helping to facilitate entropy. Welp, idiocracy, here we come!

--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement