• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

What is ping time?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Lake   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:47 PM

I know this is a silly question, but I can't for the life of me find a clear sentence on the internet that says "ping is the time it takes to ..." so I have to ask here: Is ping the time it takes to send data from client to server, or client to server and back to client? I'm pretty sure it's the latter, but if my game tells you that your ping is half or double what it really is, that's a big problem. I want to be safe.

Sponsor:

#2 Dragonsoulj   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2129

3Likes

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

Round trip. If you are running Windows, open the command prompt, type "ping google.com" and read what it outputs.

#3 rnlf   Members   -  Reputation: 1185

3Likes

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

If you are running Windows, open the command prompt, type "ping google.com" and read what it outputs.

And if you're running Linux or some flavour of UNIX (including OSX), do the same tongue.png.

my blog (German)

#4 Dragonsoulj   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2129

1Likes

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

If you are running Windows, open the command prompt, type "ping google.com" and read what it outputs.

And if you're running Linux or some flavour of UNIX (including OSX), do the same tongue.png.

Yeah, I didn't have Linux up to test it.

but I can't for the life of me find a clear sentence on the internet that says "ping is the time it takes to ..."

From Wikipedia:

"In the process it measures the time from transmission to reception (round-trip time)[1] and records any packet loss."

#5 marcClintDion   Members   -  Reputation: 431

0Likes

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:21 AM

(i)You knock on your neighbors wall...

(ii)Your neighbor knocks back...

(iii)The 'ping time' is the time it takes for step (i) and step (ii) combined.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

#6 Icebone1000   Members   -  Reputation: 1153

0Likes

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

it should be called pong >_>

#7 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3064

1Likes

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

If I remember correctly, in IRC a ping response is called a pong.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

#8 Dragonsoulj   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2129

0Likes

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

I do believe you are correct in that the ping response is a pong, not just in IRC.

#9 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5724

0Likes

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

If I remember correctly, in IRC a ping response is called a pong.

In Erlang, a ping request to an existing node will return 'pong'. A ping request to a node that is down instead returns 'pang'. (Which is funny because you usually feel a pang when you realize something's missing :-)

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

#10 samoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5037

0Likes

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:52 AM

It should be noted that in it's "kind of official" meaning, ping refers to ICMP ping, not something you send as normal data. Technically, this is just an IP datagram which uses a different internet layer protocol (instead of e.g. TCP or UDP).

Practically, this matters because not few cheap hosters will cheat and give ICMP (and in particular ping) higher priorities in their routers. Which means that the machines appear to have a better reachability than they have in reality. So you might wonder why it takes forever for your server to reply, but when you type ping yourserver into a command prompt, everything looks just fine. Thus, since it is "obviously" not the network, you waste hours trying to figure what's wrong on your server. Bah.

And with that lesson learned, you'll always implement your own ping or stay away from cheap hosters smile.png

Edited by samoth, 13 July 2013 - 12:52 AM.

#11 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9299

0Likes

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:09 AM

It should be noted that in it's "kind of official" meaning, ping refers to ICMP ping, not something you send as normal data. Technically, this is just an IP datagram which uses a different internet layer protocol (instead of e.g. TCP or UDP).

Practically, this matters because not few cheap hosters will cheat and give ICMP (and in particular ping) higher priorities in their routers. Which means that the machines appear to have a better reachability than they have in reality. So you might wonder why it takes forever for your server to reply, but when you type ping yourserver into a command prompt, everything looks just fine. Thus, since it is "obviously" not the network, you waste hours trying to figure what's wrong on your server. Bah.

And with that lesson learned, you'll always implement your own ping or stay away from cheap hosters smile.png

There's also shady "low ping" services which claim to give you better latency by going through their network (with numbers occasionally contradicting the laws of physics) when in reality they are just intercepting ping packets (either ICMP or in whatever format the ping packet is for X or Y application) and forging a fake reply.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#12 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5724

1Likes

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

ping refers to ICMP ping

"ping" is actually the name of the utility that generates ICMP protocol ECHO packets (PDUs) and measures packet loss and round-trip time to some given target. There's no such thing as a "pick packet" except, perhaps, to name "packets created by the ping utility."

Thus, in turn, "ping time" is the time value reported by the "ping utility." Which happens to be round-trip time.

In games, the low-level echo time is only half the story, though, because it doesn't account for queuing and processing times in the client and server. In a game, the time that really matters is time from giving a command, through the client processing and sending that command, through the server receiving and processing that command and sending a reply, through the client receiving and processing that reply. Things like OS scheduling jitter or graphics frame rate can affect this game-level round-trip time, and because that's the time that matters, that's often the time displayed by particular games as "ping time" even though they don't use the particular command-line tool called "ping."

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

#13 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3064

0Likes

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

I actually ran across a proxy system once that allowed a user to tunnel HTTP over ICMP using echo packet data. It was hilarious at the time because I had one of those crappy 'ClearWire' wimax modems and their system allowed ICMP traffic to pass through without requiring a login.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS