• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Texture Filtering and Direct3D9 vs Direct3D11

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 BMW   Members   -  Reputation: 160

0Likes

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:10 AM

Hi all,

I am making a voxel engine similar to Minecraft which uses a texture atlas for the textures of different blocks.

This is an example of rendering 4 chunks:

gpqb.png

This is with no texture filtering. If I enable some filtering, i.e. linear, it looks terrible due to the texture atlas. See the below image, which is using trilinear filtering.

ska.png

So, my question is, what is filtering for? Is it worth using in my case (does it improve performance or something)? In my case it just makes the scene look terrible.

And my second question is what are the advantages of using a Direct3D version greater than 9? Is it worth culling out any Windows XP users?

Edited by BMW, 09 July 2013 - 04:14 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Yourself   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1193

1Likes

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:57 AM

Texture filtering is used to improve texture quality. The better the filtering, the better the visuals (but at a performance cost). 

You should pick-up a graphics programming book in order to understand why you need filtering and what it is for.

The reason it looks wrong in your case is because you probably didn't add borders in your atlas.

#3 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8282

1Likes

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:17 AM

With D3D10+ you can use a texture array rather than a testure atlas (assuming that your textures are all the same size) which will resolve this problem for you.  Regarding XP, according to the latest Steam hardware survey, XP is at just over 7% of PCs, so it depends on how important you view that 7%.  Personally I'd say: forget about XP (also bearing in mind that it's already out of mainstream support and will be leaving extended support in April of next year).

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#4 BMW   Members   -  Reputation: 160

0Likes

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

The reason it looks wrong in your case is because you probably didn't add borders in your atlas.

Ok, I haven't added borders, I'll guess I'll do that. Thanks.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS