• Create Account

Any Detailed Tutorials?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 SanePumpkins   Members   -  Reputation: 117

0Likes

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

I have a brilliant idea for a game, and I do know how to write stuff like AI and server connections as well sessions. 

I haven't got much experience with rendering and that kind of stuff, which is kinda an important thing when programming a game. I am looking for tutorials on creating a game engine that supports APEX and PhysX. I do really see these 2 as a requirement. I don't really mind if it requires any other 3rd party software, especially if that means less work and code that's probably optimized better than if I would have done it. 

The reason I'm not using an already existing engine, like the Unreal Engine, is simply because they are too limited. The online does not fit my needs. I have experience creating 2D games in OpenGL. (I do have a lot of other experiences, but none related to Game Development)

I Googled around to see if any of these tutorials exist, but it doesn't seem like it. Most of them are about how to use the PhysXLab or other utilities, which is not what I'm looking for. (But of course still very useful, after I've actually implemented all libraries. )

Does anyone know of a tutorial like this, or maybe wants to start one? 

Thanks in advance! 

Sponsor:

#2 NightCreature83   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2669

2Likes

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

Have you tried https://developer.nvidia.com/technologies/physx for physx as they have boat loads of samples there, have to give you a fair warning though that NVIDIA code is not always the best to look at. They leave a lot up to the developer themselves when they can't fix the issue. You will want to grab the SDK from there and look at the samples in it, working with an API always requires you to do a lot of heavy lifting in the architecture department.

You should be looking at physics game engines to begin with and then see how you can incorporate Physx into that as all it is is a library like Havok to do the physics for you. Other good places for this is the bullet physics engine as that is running on OpenCL on AMD Gpu's.

Edited by NightCreature83, 09 July 2013 - 09:27 AM.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, Mad Max

#3 SanePumpkins   Members   -  Reputation: 117

0Likes

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

Do you know of any open source games or samples that use APEX and/or PhysX?

#4 Tasaq   Members   -  Reputation: 1168

1Likes

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

The reason I'm not using an already existing engine, like the Unreal Engine, is simply because they are too limited.

I beg to differ. While it's true that dedicated (homegrown) engine is better because you create what you need, but do you think you can write everything from scratch? It would take a lot of time. Look at other engines, Unity 3D which allow you to use C#, Cry Engine 3 sdk where you can use C++, lua or C#(CryMono), Torque 3D and many more.

As for your original question I would suggest using Havok, it has very good documentation and source code of example applications.

#5 SanePumpkins   Members   -  Reputation: 117

0Likes

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

Yeah, at the moment I am looking into Unity. I think it should be possible in Unity, despite it not having APEX, it can still turn out nice. I'll look into Havok in a bit. I wanna check out all possibilities and then select the one that I feel is the best. 

If I'm capable of writing a game from scratch, the answer is simple. I'm not. I am mostly doing this to get experience. 

Edited by SanePumpkins, 09 July 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#6 MarekKnows.com   Members   -  Reputation: 431

0Likes

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

The guys from garagegames released the Torque 3D game engine source code for free here: https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D  You can have a look to see how their network stack is implemented.

---
Free C++, OpenGL, and Game Development Video Tutorials @
www.MarekKnows.com
Play my free games: Ghost Toast, Zing, Jewel Thief

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS