• Create Account

Patent trolls attacking small indie developers

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
22 replies to this topic

#21 DarkRonin   Members   -  Reputation: 604

0Likes

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:36 AM

It doesn't matter what country you live in, if you sell your product in the US (and who doesn't with digital content in english?), they can sue you in an american court.

Good luck with them dragging you from your home country to America, just to go to court.  ;)

I don't think that would happen...

Sure, if you choose to visit the US in the future, it might be an issue.

Edited by lonewolff, 23 July 2013 - 02:37 AM.

Sponsor:

#22 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 27873

0Likes

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:45 AM

It doesn't matter what country you live in, if you sell your product in the US (and who doesn't with digital content in english?), they can sue you in an american court.

Good luck with them dragging you from your home country to America, just to go to court.  ;)

Sure, if you choose to visit the US in the future, it might be an issue.

You don't have to be there for the case to go ahead, and for an injunction against you andyour product to be granted inside the US. It's not a "criminal" case, where they want to drag you there so they can punish you, it's a "civil" case where the other party wants to get their hands on your money.

Visa, Mastercard, Paypal, Steam: many of the companies that move money from your customers to you, exist in the US, which means your supply of money can be cut off, or redirected to this other party.

If you don't sell your game to American customers, and don't use any American middlemen, then it's not a problem... but almost everyone uses American finance, and the American market is one of the biggest for selling games...

Edited by Hodgman, 23 July 2013 - 05:46 AM.

#23 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3745

1Likes

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

Well, its not like the FBI would go to the other corner of the world just to raid your house for a console devkit...

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS