• Create Account

Post process effects - forward or deferred rendering?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Waaayoff   Members   -  Reputation: 690

0Likes

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

If you have mostly outdoor scenes, then forward rendering is the better approach i think. But what if you are also doing a lot of post process effects such as atmoshperic scattering, SSAO, etc..?

For example i'm implementing Bruneton's precomputed atmospheric scattering and i find myself torn between either calculating the scattering results for every visible object or just do it as post-process and be done with it. If i choose the latter, then i will need depth and normals... Might as well just use a gbuffer, no?

But then there's the headache of implementing anti-aliasing and handling alpha transparency...

Edited by Waaayoff, 10 July 2013 - 07:15 AM.

"Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris...even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do. "

Sponsor:

#2 phantom   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5723

4Likes

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

The simple answer is don't restrict yourself - there is nothing saying 'Thou Shalt Only Use One Rendering Method'.

If you want to forward light your objects but need other information for a latter pass then do that - effectively becoming a hybrid renderer.

So if you need normals later then write them to a buffer, either at the same time as the colour data or via a seperate pass. If you are using a depth buffer then you already have depth written out anyway so it's not like you need to do anything there other than feed it back in to the post pass.

#3 Waaayoff   Members   -  Reputation: 690

0Likes

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

You're right... Although i need linear depth for the scattering so i can't use the depth buffer

"Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris...even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do. "

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS