• Create Account

Landscape rendering

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jappie   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 October 2001 - 12:15 AM

How come the landscape demos written by Nicholas Anderson don''t show any disturbance in animation, although there''s no use of quadtrees/bsp trees/whatever? I wrote a small thingy based on this, but when rendering the viewport, the motion''s all jerky. BTW: I posted a similar msg in the Game Programming forum, but didn''t get any (satisfying) replies, so maybe someone here knows more... Tnx for any help ----------------------------- Jappie BabJap Productions "There''s no such things as bugs; they''re just unintentional extra features"

Sponsor:

#2 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 24 October 2001 - 02:17 AM

What disturbance in animation do you mean?

#3 AIRmichael   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 24 October 2001 - 04:55 AM

It has to do with the number of vertexes being rendered, and the video card. Also rotating the scene with a high frequence , it drops several "moments". Like if you rotate the world or camera 0.15f is alot differant then 0.3f.

#4 Jappie   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 October 2001 - 10:21 AM

The problem''s like this: when I render the entire landscape, then move the camera (and rotate it), the motion''s smooth. As opposed to when I render only a portion of the landscape (the viewport) by looping through a selected number of vertices around a set of given coordinates, ''cause then the motion''s ''jerky''.

-----------------------------
Jappie
BabJap Productions

"There''s no such things as bugs; they''re just unintentional extra features"

#5 Kippesoep   Members   -  Reputation: 892

Posted 24 October 2001 - 11:25 PM

The amount of vertices is not constant anymore. That''ll cause some jerkiness. If all frames would be equally complex, but in number of vertices and in number of pixels drawn as well as the amount of calculations being done, you would get a perfectly smooth framerate (assuming your program is the only thing running). That kind of ideal situation doesn''t happen in real life, though. Therefore, you may want to make your app time-based instead of frame-based. That''ll mask the small variations in time you get a lot better.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS