• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Android coding an inventory system?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 bambi   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

Hi, I just got into Android a couple weeks ago and wanted to get into starting the development of my simple 2d game.  It is going to be very loot-based, so as a consequence one part of the game requires an inventory/bag system (if anyone has played puzzles and dragons, i'm hoping for something of that style of inventory).  

However, I'm not sure how to start on the bag system.  Does anyone have any ideas/tips/class functions that will help get me started?  (I've tried googling for resources but to no avail).

Thank you.

Sponsor:

#2 SillyCow   Members   -  Reputation: 899

0Likes

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:59 AM

The first question that comes to mind: Are you planning on using a game engine, or are you building from scratch?

The answer will vary depending on your decision.

My new android game : Enemies of the Crown

My previous android game : Killer Bees

#3 bambi   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Oh whoops sorry about that; I was planning to just build it from scratch with Android SDK/Eclipse.

I've never tried using a game engine though (I've always imagined just coding everything in Eclipse), so any pointers for either would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

#4 wodinoneeye   Members   -  Reputation: 872

0Likes

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

We really need more info about your game writing experience.

If you are doing a game from scratch, the inventory may be only a tiny bit of all the programming you will need to provide to make a working game.

Game Engines CAN save you alot of effort (depending on what skills you are trying to develop) but often constrain you in what you can do.

Inventory will be dependant on game object data and actions you will have them perform and how the data is presented to you for display and interactions.

There can be player inventrories and other 'entity' object inventories(usually simpler depending on the behaviors your objects will hve)

--------------------------------------------Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS