How do you make an easy level builder?

Started by
9 comments, last by mk.jr.fan 10 years, 9 months ago

Hi! I've been working on my sidescroller space ship shooter (in java) for about a month now and I have the basic components down so far (player, enemies, ect.), but one thing that I have trouble making is an easier level/map builder. Right now I am using a text map editor, but because the size of my game window the text editor gets pretty large (basically 50 lines down and 3,000 lines across).

Is there any better or efficient way to make a level builder instead of using just a text map? I haven't put in many of the sprites in for the enemies or players just mostly got the mechanics down.

Thank You for any help!

Advertisement

Best to use an existing, free map editor smile.png

e.g. tiled

Is it going to be easy to implement into an existing game?

EDIT: Actually after having a brief look at the game im not sure if this will help me because in this side scrollershooter the map is basically the only thing moving while the player can move only up and down. Also I would need to place enemies which I'm not sure if this program will do that.

You could extend the game itself into a level editor. It's not going to be trivial, but most of the existing code could probably be utilized to support various editing features.

For example: Your "scrolling" code can be modified to respond to mouse movements, and you can write some code to spawn enemy ships wherever you click. Then, you can save the position of every object to a file, or you can start playing the current editor session, just to test things out.

As I said, it's not going to be trivial, but time invested in good tools is time well spent.

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Game Dev video tutorials -> http://www.youtube.com/goranmilovano | +---------------------------------------------------------------------+

Actually that's a pretty interesting idea! I think I will consider doing something like this later. Thank you!

Continue to use a text-file, but instead of having 3000 columns and 50 rows, have 50 columns and 3000 rows. Text editors work much better with this kind of file, you can simply rotate the data through 90 degrees.

what language? if c++ qt offers some good solutions but it is an entire project in and of itself to make an editor. We are using the qt framework for the GUI portion of the 3d map editor we are making now

Continue to use a text-file, but instead of having 3000 columns and 50 rows, have 50 columns and 3000 rows. Text editors work much better with this kind of file, you can simply rotate the data through 90 degrees.

I might try that if my own editor doesn't workout. It will be a good backup.

what language? if c++ qt offers some good solutions but it is an entire project in and of itself to make an editor. We are using the qt framework for the GUI portion of the 3d map editor we are making now

I'm using java. Do you know of anything that works with that?

I'm using java. Do you know of anything that works with that?

http://qt-jambi.org/

Here's a forum post that talks about different java GUI options

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7358775/java-gui-frameworks-what-to-choose-swing-swt-awt-swingx-jgoodies-javafx

Wait wait wait.

Screw JavaFX in particular. It's broken big way.

For those kind of apps, I strongly suggest to learn HTML5+JavaScript. I predict it will successfully cannibalize most GUI-driven apps. For as much as I dislike JS: it's very successful.

Previously "Krohm"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement