Bullet Vs ODE (or any other) for iOS project

Started by
4 comments, last by d000hg 10 years, 9 months ago

I need to add 3D collision detection to a Windows/iOS C++ project. Physical simulation isn't required. I'm not having great success figuring out which engines have good support for iOS - bullet definitely claims support and I can find a couple of people claiming to have done it in ODE but no instructions or handy build-scripts, and ease of use is definitely important.

Any anecdotal advice or links would be welcome... if you've implemented collision detection in a mobile game what did you use? So far I'm leaning towards bullet but not based on a lot of information!

Thanks (also mods, not sure if this should be in mobile or physics forum)

Advertisement

I got my game which uses bullet physics to work on iOS with no problems (at least, working as far as the simulator, never quite got around to getting it on a device).

It's been many, many years since I've even tried to use ODE. Bullet is an excellent engine, easily AAA/industry quality and it has shipped with plenty of games. You know you're getting a solid system that can handle almost anything you throw at it. It's getting massive GPU simulation support in the very near future too, which is a big step forward. On almost any technical merit I would choose Bullet without reservation.

What is not so good about Bullet is the documentation. We've had to pour over the source code to understand what's going on and how to use functions.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

I got my game which uses bullet physics to work on iOS with no problems (at least, working as far as the simulator, never quite got around to getting it on a device).

Can you recall how getting it building for iOS was? I get the impression there isn't a pre-built binary/framework so I'd have to set up an XCode project and add the sources manually?

Maybe I'll just ask on the bullet forums, but I wanted to try and check it wasn't a stupid question first :)

Getting bullet to work on iOS is super easy. Ignore the instructions they give.

1) Create a new XCode iOS static library project and empty it out.

2) Add the entire bullet source tree.

3) You'll need to remove some CMake files manually, or XCode will complain about not knowing what they're for. There's also a few other things to skip like MiniCL, ibmsdk, etc.

4) Link it to your application like any XCode static library project.

I've never bothered with CMake to build bullet.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Thanks, that seems worth a shot :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement