• Create Account

My friend and is c# book...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 Vortez   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2704

0Likes

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Hi, this topic is not really related to me, but for one of my friend. He's been trying to learn c# for a while now, but lack the willpower to do so. On top of that, he's always saying how good is book is (C# 2010 for Programmers from DEITEL). I've looked at it briefly (im more of a c++ guy), and really don't get why this book seem so special to him. For him, this book is like the bible is to the pope... I keep telling him that there's a lot of tutorial website online that are WAY better than is damn book but I feel it's like talking to a wall. I remember looking brefly at the c++ version of it and saw some horrible snippet of code, especially when declaring c-string arrays...

On top of that, all he does is read the book, but he almost never write any lines of code... I keep telling him that he won't learn just by reading it, but again, he's too lazy to code. Personally, i've found this site and think it look like a very good starting point. The order in which the topic are layed out seem right, and there's a lot of pictures that show how to do stuffs.

Also, he keep saying that he hesitate to learn c# because he's learning lots of networking stuffs that are "too complicated for me to understand", but he's been saying that since 4-5 years now... i don't think leaning c# could affect his other networking stuff much...

What do you guys think? Suggestion?

Edited by Vortez, 22 July 2013 - 12:46 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Josh Petrie   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3842

8Likes

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

He doesn't seem to want your help or advice, so I'd suggest that you leave him alone to waste his own time if he so choses.

Josh Petrie | Game Developer, Undead Labs

#3 Vortez   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2704

0Likes

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

Good point. What about the book? Any other good one for a complete beginner?

#4 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1503

0Likes

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

Reading the book is not bad. He will have a good grasp of the theoretical stuff but unfortunately not how it is applied.

A human can learn a lot of things as long as you divide the work.

#5 Xanather   Members   -  Reputation: 712

0Likes

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:39 AM

Maybe he shouldn't be learning programming. He doesn't seem to have the urge to code. I learned about TCP/UDP and how to do networked programming in .net as the same time I was learning C#. The book is useless if hes not going to start writing algorithms that solve things himself.

#6 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 19375

0Likes

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:30 AM

I'd have to agree with Josh; your friend doesn't really seem motivated to learn, so you should probably just leave him to his own devices and not waste your own time trying to help him.

#7 Malabyte   Members   -  Reputation: 589

0Likes

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:09 AM

Maybe he's in that phase of trying to understand the base logic of the language, and then later he'll be more motivated to program something because he'll understand what he's doing. After all, I've seen that most tutorials out there assume that you already understand some base syntaxical logic. Maybe he's one of those who just doesn't like doing stuff he doesn't understand and that he's currently a bit dyslectic as far as coding goes (I'm somewhat like that myself). Or maybe he just needs to grow up.

Edited by Malabyte, 24 July 2013 - 07:11 AM.

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

#8 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4766

0Likes

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

He doesn't seem to want your help or advice, so I'd suggest that you leave him alone to waste his own time if he so choses.

This right here.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS