• Create Account

Game development, which path should i choose?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 decoder55   Members   -  Reputation: 115

0Likes

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

Hello! I'm very new here and y want to make a lot of friends and learn so much.

I' m a junior programmer and i want to make videogames but i don't have idea about how to start. I like programming so much, but really i don't know what a videogame programmer do i his job. I've read some articles about OpenGL and DirectX. Also i' ve read about tools like Blender and others.

I want to learn everything i can, but y i'm sure i'll have to choose a path in this. Is important to know about programming with OpenGL or is better go directly to work with Blender, Unity3D...etc ? or this things are totally differents each other? I know tools like Blender uses OpenGL itselfs.

I need guidance! Please!

PD: sorry for my english i'm from Spain. xD

Sponsor:

#2 KnolanCross   Members   -  Reputation: 1361

2Likes

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

Mostly starting with something VERY simple is the way to go, try coding some pong or tic tac toe with some very simple library (pygame, sfml or even openGL) to get the feel of the game programming and learning the basic problems (rotations, scales, collisions and input handling).

After you master those, try some UI (which is way harder than most people realize) and sound. When you finished you will have learned a lot and probably will know what next steps you want to take (networking, pathfinding, tile map base game, some 3D coding, using other engines, so on).

Currently working on a scene editor for ORX (http://orx-project.org), using kivy (http://kivy.org).

#3 CmasterG   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

I think it is a good idea to make tutorials for OpenGL or DirectX. Have a look at rastertek.com or http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/

It is good to know this low level things, because then you can work with every engine you want to.

Unity is very simple. It depends on what do you want to make. If you want to make a game just for fun than take Unity. You can make great games with it, but when you want to become a game programmer than learn OpenGL or DirectX.

#4 Pink Horror   Members   -  Reputation: 1229

1Likes

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

Hello! I'm very new here and y want to make a lot of friends and learn so much.

I' m a junior programmer and i want to make videogames but i don't have idea about how to start. I like programming so much, but really i don't know what a videogame programmer do i his job. I've read some articles about OpenGL and DirectX. Also i' ve read about tools like Blender and others.

I want to learn everything i can, but y i'm sure i'll have to choose a path in this. Is important to know about programming with OpenGL or is better go directly to work with Blender, Unity3D...etc ? or this things are totally differents each other? I know tools like Blender uses OpenGL itselfs.

I need guidance! Please!

PD: sorry for my english i'm from Spain. xD

I work on a very large team. Most programmers do not do graphics. You could be a game programmer without Blender, OpenGL, Unity3D, or DirectX.

I would start on the math - many different roles need to work with vectors, sometimes in creative ways, for many separate features. Tools can be very different, but math is always just math.

Which part of a game do you want to work on?

#5 decoder55   Members   -  Reputation: 115

0Likes

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:20 AM

Which part of a game do you want to work on?

The graphics are very cool, but i would like to work with AI behaviours or object physics. Actually i dont' know all the kind of work a game developer can do. 

My question is: What kind of work can be done on a project of a video game?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by decoder55, 25 July 2013 - 12:22 AM.

#6 EarthBanana   Members   -  Reputation: 991

0Likes

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:50 AM

Well a lot of work can be done on a video game project, and a lot of people could explain coding physics, AI, graphics, game mechanics, toolkits, on and on but...

When just talking about these things it makes them all seem so mysterious and wondrous when you haven't tried building a game yourself.

So, like an earlier poster suggested, choose a very simple 2d type of game where you can easily get art for it (or easily make it yourself), and start getting some sprites to display on screen. A lot of people would suggest getting the sprites on screen using a graphics engine - I would suggest use OpenGL calls if you are a junior programmer.

Then from there you will learn the parts of programming that go in to making a game by necessity

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS