• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

c++ Load/Save dialog for level editor

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Yerba Mate   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

Hello everyone.

I'm new here but hope to get in touch with a lot of friendly developers smile.png. Well, let's get to the question:
I'm creating this game in C++, using SFML to deal with graphics, I/O, etc. It is a cross platform puzzle.
I need to create a load/save dialog, with some kind of file manager but, since it's a cross platform project, I can't rely on native O.S. dialogs.  What I'm trying to achieve is something similar to the approach Stunts (old MS-DOS) did, creating a proprietary list:

stunts.png

Honestly, I do know how to do it but I was wondering if there was a simpler and more elegant solution that I may not know or be aware of, something like an universal filemanager preset.
Any suggestion will be appreciated =]. And here's a screenshot of the editor just for fun!

screen.png

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach

Sponsor:

#2 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6184

0Likes

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

AFAIK SFML doesn't include any good filesystem functions so you might want to use something like boost for that.

If its a standalone editor you could also go with something like QT (it makes cross platform GUI applications extremely simple, its just a few lines of code to open a file dialog)

I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#3 Yerba Mate   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

Thanks, Simon, I'll see what I can do with boost, heard of it but never used it.

The editor is in-game, so QT is not an option I guess, I could use it but to include such dependence (lots of megabytes) just for a small part of the game doesn't seem like the best thing to do - but I may be naive here.

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS