• Create Account

2D top down RPG map design

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 RobeeZ   Members   -  Reputation: 206

0Likes

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Hi!

I'm creating some little art for my game, and I don't know how should I make the walls...

I uploaded a pic which shows the 2 method, and I can't decide which one looks better in a game. I would go with 2, but it looks like if there was no wall there. I thought about dropping a shadowed, darker piece of wall instead of that "lines"

Attached Thumbnails

• lawl.png

Sponsor:

#2 Kryzon   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 2761

1Likes

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

I'd go with #2. It's pretty common in 3rd person games, especially RPGs. Chrono Cross, for one:

36-viper15.jpg

Plus it's the safest bet since you're not occluding anything.

I'd think #1 is uncomfortable because of that - you get walls partially hiding things; How would you know if there is a 1-tile hole, or item etc. hidden by the walls.

Edited by Kryzon, 29 July 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#3 Ravyne   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6976

0Likes

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

Many games go for number 2, and you're able to walk "behind" the forward wall. Some games add a graphical indicator around the "lip" of the cieling (beams or shadowing) just to avoid feeling like an abrupt end. I think that look is a bit more finished, but its not necessary. I actually find #1 more jarring, unless its a place I can actually visit in-game -- otherwise, why does the player-character know or care how the wall looks over there.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS