• Create Account

SDL 1.2 and OpenGL

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 doyleman77   Members   -  Reputation: 366

0Likes

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

I want to build my games trying to use SDL, and once I need to get into hardware acceleration, use OpenGL. Various questions come up with this, though. SDL 1.2, which is what I am using now because of the numerous articles and guides and documentation, uses OpenGL 2~ with, from what I read, the Fixed Function method. I keep reading it's an old, archaic and bad way of using OGL nowadays.

SDL 2 is practically out, uses the 3~ version of OpenGL. But it lacks anything really. Sample tutorials on Lazyfoo are around, but nothing to really say what is going on or what parameters to pump in, etc.

I was just wondering, is it better to just throw myself into SDL 2 and tinkering until it clicks, or go ahead and use SDL 1.2, and old OpenGL?

Side note, I think OpenGL is confusing already as it is with SDL 1.2. It seems much more complex than just SDL alone.

Sponsor:

#2 SyncViews   Members   -  Reputation: 465

1Likes

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

I suggest you just going with SDL 1.2 to get some basics going.

Once you really need the new stuff, you will likely be at a level the API documentation is all you need to figure things out and how they differ from 1.2.

#3 doyleman77   Members   -  Reputation: 366

0Likes

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

well, the only response; so I'll assume everyone else who visited are in agreement. I will proceed to learn 1.2/ogl 2 for the time being

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS