• Create Account

Where to begin

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sortis   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

Hi all, first post here. Forgive me for asking the age old question n all that but i really need some pointers.

First things first. Im not after making a game as such, I'm not a fan of MMO's nor am i expecting to make anything worthwhile for a looong time.

For a while now I've been toying around with the idea of just making a beleiveable environment. Day and night cycle, seasons, weather you know. I had been using the UDK and learning UnrealScript well enough to get by. After the news that UnrealScript was being dropped in UE4 and just my general thinking that an actual programming language will benefit me more, i decided to abandone my UDK project.

For a couple of months now I've been banging my head against a brick wall it seems as to what i should do. I keep thinking C++ C++ but everywhere says learn C# first and it will benefit you greatly in the future.

I was thinking of maybe trying out Ogre3d. But it looks a bit too in depth. Lack of a solid editor isnt encouraging either.

So i guess i just need to start simple? What would be a good platform to begin learning C#? Unity? Paradox? I don't know whats best.

I like to think i have a general knowledge of what needs to be done, but i think i just need some sound advice. Getting to that age where I've gotta f***** do something soon haha

Again, I'm sorry for asking questions that have been asked a million times but I'm desperate for help. I need some ideas.

Thanks in advance everyone. I appreciate any pointers any of you have to offer.

~M

Sponsor:

#2 Brick   Members   -  Reputation: 519

1Likes

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

Welcome to the forums, Sortis.

I'm new to game development, too. I would really recomend using Unity but I haven't really used enough platforms to know what I'm talking about. :P

As for learning C/C#/C++ I would reccomend learning C first. You can code in JavaScript, C#, or Boo in Unity so C won't be of much use there. It will certainly give you a good introduction to the other C languages, though.

#3 Paradigm Shifter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5264

0Likes

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

I wouldn't recommend C first, this isn't the 1980s, you don't need to know about memory addresses and pointers when you are starting out. I definitely wouldn't recommend C++ first. I would have recommended C 15-20 years ago.

First thing to do is learn to program anyway. C#, Java or Python would be my recommendations. But let the language war begin!

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

#4 GuardianX   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1496

0Likes

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

C++ is not that hard to learn at all. With new C++11 it's actually sometimes more user-friendly than before. And I disagree about pointers - you must always understand them, because this is a natural part of every electronic device.

I think Unity is a good option if you just want assembly game engine tools do everything for you. It is mainstream now.

Edited by GuardianX, 30 July 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#5 nczempin   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:03 AM

Why not stick with UnrealScript for now? Just because it gets deemphasized in UE4 it doesn't mean you have to stop using it, and learning as much as you can with the current UDK. There are no features in UE4 that you would need at your current level of skill.

US is similar enough to C++, C# and Java that a lot of the skills will be transferrable.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS