Jump to content

  • Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

We need your help!

We need 1 more developer from Canada and 12 more from Australia to help us complete a research survey.

Support our site by taking a quick sponsored survey and win a chance at a $50 Amazon gift card. Click here to get started!

2D leveldesign Illustrator/Photoshop problems

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

  • You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 VanTrebla   Members   -  Reputation: 141


Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:08 AM

I'm new here and first of all i want say hello rolleyes.gif


Me and my brother are working on an android game at the moment and we get better and better every day (we startet from the scratch...).

I finished our logo, startscreen, levelmenue, App Icon and so on, but with the first leveltest appeared our problem and we can't handle it.

I use Illustrator an Photoshop for our levels. You can see an example of my work below, that is only a test and not the final result. But i didn't really know how to start... (resolution, ppi all that stuff) so i started without a plan.



The main problem:


i did the first leveldesign and saved it as a .png,  everything's fine but when we imported it in the R.U.B.E. Editor ,my brother is useing, the background and everything gets blurry an totally rough, on the picture below everything looks fine but when we open it in the Editor i gets worse... (same problem with .jpeg)

Can someone tell my how you would start and what is your work procedure, what we need to focus on and is there maybe a tutorial or youtube video i can learn from? I was searching endless hours but no good results...

The resolution is big enough so it can't get blurry but it did, so i really don't know the error. 


Hope you can reproduce my questions, my english is a bit confusing wink.png


Thank you for your help

Attached Thumbnails

  • Probelevel.jpg

Edited by VanTrebla, 31 July 2013 - 05:41 AM.


#2 kburkhart84   Members   -  Reputation: 2163


Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

I don't know much about the R.U.B.E. editor, but I have a guess as to what may be the problem.  In GameMaker, there is a texture page system.  For Android, the recommended texture size is 1024x1024, and all of the graphics get placed onto several pages of 1024x1024.  If anything is bigger than that size, it gets scaled down to fit, which would create blur.  The editor you are using may be doing to same thing.


To confirm if this is the case, you'd have to know more about R.U.B.E. than I do.  But, a test you can do is to create smaller graphics to test with, like 512x512 or less, just for a test, and see if that gets blurry too.


Assuming that yes indeed it is this problem, you could still create levels by doing a tile based system, or by splitting up graphics into sections and drawing them together.  Then, since the graphics are separate, the editor could put them on different texture pages.  Like I say though, I'm not sure if that is what is happening, but if it is, then the solution is to split things up into smaller pieces.

#3 VanTrebla   Members   -  Reputation: 141


Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:08 AM

Thank you for your reply.

Yeah that could probably be the solution. We will doing some tests at the weekend, hope results getting better then biggrin.png 

Maybe there are other solutions and tutorials, so feel free to share wink.png 

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.