Problems with DLL file and MS Visual C++ 2010

Started by
1 comment, last by ProgramGuruCpp 10 years, 8 months ago

Hello,

I am having issues getting input from the keyboard with various game projects I've been making with Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 and using DirectInput. I can build and run all projects fine, but I cannot seem to get any keyboard input for my game projects.

I've noticed that, when debugging, when I first press a key in the program I get a new message in the debug output window in Visual C++:

'CollisionDemo_BR.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\dadkeyb.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.

This only happens when I press a key for the first time in the program. I've tried changing projects from debug to release, but that did not seem to work. I cannot change "dadkeyb.dll", for it is a Dell file.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to get rid of this problem. I've done numerous searches and I can't seem to find anyone else with the same problem.

I thank any in advance for taking the time to look at this and I look forward to a reply.

"C++: Where friends have access to your private members." -Gavin Russell Baker
Advertisement

Sounds like a keyboard hook. Lots of DLLs can be loaded into your process like that. They typically should not interfere with your program unless the hook was especially poorly coded or is malicious. Ones installed by PC manufacturers are typically for special laptop hotkey combinations.

I would ignore that message and look for the bug in your code instead.

You know, I hadn't even thought of checking my DirectInput code. See, I've been working through this book (Advanced 2D Game Development by Jonathan S. Harbour) so I assumed its code was correct.

Taking a closer look, however, and the book code was right all along; the mistake was on my part.

I had:

keyboard->SetDataFormat(&c_dfDIMouse);

instead of:

keyboard->SetDataFormat(&c_dfDIKeyboard);

Thanks for the help. I feel rather stupid for making such an idiotic and simple mistake...but it's all better now.

"C++: Where friends have access to your private members." -Gavin Russell Baker

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement