• Create Account

Is it worth to make games for phones in java

Old topic!

Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 WiredCat   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1214

0Likes

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

Question llike in topic, but for phones that have keyboard not touchscreen.

#2 Stormynature   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4457

0Likes

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

Are you asking this from the perspective of a job career or more from a business aspect?

#3 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7455

1Likes

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

I wouldn't bother making anything for JavaME phones anymore, unless its just as a hobby for your personal phone. (apps for them are a pain to distribute/sell as there is no central marketplace for them and Android is taking over the low end phone market)

It is worth it to make Android apps in Java though and there are a few Android phones out there with buttons as well as touchscreens.

I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#4 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 14539

0Likes

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

Not on topic in the Job Advice forum. Moving it elsewhere.

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#5 MaxDZ8   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4948

0Likes

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:37 AM

I'm interested as well.

I never really liked Java so much, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just go directly to ECMAScript.

Elaborations welcome.

Previously "Krohm"

#6 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7022

0Likes

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:54 AM

What kind of games on what kind of phones for what kind of purpose?

iPhone? Nope.

Android? Sure.

BlackBerry? Sure.

Feature phones? Possibly, depending on the phone.

Note that despite being written in Java, you can't just take a Java Android game and expect it to run on BlackBerry (and vice versa). Also note that if you want to do this for fun as a hobby, you can go ahead and do whatever you want. It can be a fun learning experience. If you want to do it to make money... well then you need to do a proper market analysis.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#7 Green_Gill   Members   -  Reputation: 142

0Likes

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

I'm interested as well.

I never really liked Java so much, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just go directly to ECMAScript.

Elaborations welcome.

JAVA and Javascript are not at all similar, not even the same type of language.  ECMAscript is difficult to master for large projects and can quickly become unwieldy, a company named Wooga recently abandoned Monster Island because of bugs, it was a Javascript game.  Emscripten and Google Web Toolkit let you compile other languages to Javascript, and that gives you more stability and less errors (disregarding some awesome javascripters I've known.

#8 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 39087

0Likes

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:17 PM

It depends on your definition of worth it.  

Note that "dumb" phones are still popular in many countries because of their low cost.

There is still a market for j2me apps, it just isn't a hugely profitable one. The popularity of the devices is the low cost so they won't be spending a fortune on apps.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I occasionally write about assorted stuff.

Old topic!

Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS