• Create Account

Amusing glitch gallery

• You cannot reply to this topic
39 replies to this topic

#21 Sik_the_hedgehog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1748

0Likes

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

Just using scaling as-is would be better and safer =P

And yeah, I had the rotation bug once (with integers, which only made it worse), although granted I was just testing if rotation worked at all instead of actually implementing animation (since I always tend to get rotation wrong in the first try). Basically I had a spaceship and rotated it a bit every frame. Except it ended up shrinking horizontally while spinning until it vanished XD Could make for a cool teleport effect I guess!

(and no, I don't have that project anymore, so no screenshots ._.)

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

Sponsor:

#22 Enders   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

My last glitch i had in game i recently made was with the scrolling credits.

I put the text position in integers and the math used to update it was in float. So when the delta was calculated it was less then 1. It just sat in the same place until the frame rate dropped enough. (never)

Changing the position to float made it silky smooth.

#23 Sik_the_hedgehog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1748

4Likes

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

Bumping because this needs more amusing glitches.

BdK1l2fCEAA4j8q.png

The truck crashed against the background scenery (you can tell by the smoke being vertical). Not kidding.

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

#24 Mathucub   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 160

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

This one was really cute. Our scene's have a very wide range between the near and far planes, so by

10% from the near plane the default depth buffer under dx9 was burning 99% of the floating point resolution.

Had to switch to a linear depth buffer in the vertex shader. First pass I was going clip/w -> clip depth without

transforming back.

The Z Fighting stopped, but it totally confused the perspective texturing.

It was bad enough that the lines weren't straight, but even worse--the texture moved around inside the meshes as they

moved around the screen!

Attached Thumbnails

• ARTIFACT.JPG

#25 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1526

1Likes

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:18 AM

What a simple math error can do to your rendering engine ...

Math_Error.jpg

The problem code

xlist.add( (cordX - p.getPlayerX() ) * tile_size );
ylist.add( (cordY - p.getPlayerY() ) * tile_size);

How is should have been

xlist.add( ((cordX - p.getPlayerX() ) + offsetX ) * tile_size  );
ylist.add( ((cordY - p.getPlayerY() ) + offsetY ) * tile_size );

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#26 Dlaha   Members   -  Reputation: 180

4Likes

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:44 AM

mime_Bug.jpg

First attempts to climb a ladder. It's more work in progress than bug smile.png

Edited by Dlaha, 11 March 2014 - 05:52 AM.

Pantomime for the win.

http://viciousmime.com

#27 Nymall   Members   -  Reputation: 202

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:23 AM

Here's a example from one of my present projects:

I wrote the code to spawn enemies every 5 'turns' on a chance/tile basis, and coupled movement code into that. Each tile was supposed to only be able to generate one enemy/ 5 turns per 10 entities, with the exception of the hospital, which was set to generate 1 enemy per 2, and then run the movement code. I was having some problems with the movement code, so I ended up disabling it in both the normal spawn section and the special hospital spawn section, but never re-enabled it in the hospital section. Play testing later for a different feature, I came across the problem - a literal enemy fountain.

After I enabled the code, I played through the rest of that game just for kicks. The game only lasted for 40 turns, by which point they had completely taken the map.

4gwGM.jpg

Edited by Nymall, 14 March 2014 - 02:24 AM.

My favorite error yet:

Parse error: Syntax error, unexpected '$pants'...

#28 TheComet   Members   -  Reputation: 1603

3Likes

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:52 AM

On an RTS game I was developing, I had a similar issue to what DekuTree64 described (see quote below). If you chained a lot of "move" commands very close to each other, the unit would never be able to reach its destination because the steering code had a minimum radius, and so the unit began orbiting around itself:

The greatest bug I've ever witnessed was when I was working on Sims 2 DS. We had this thief character whose getaway vehicle is a shopping cart, which is spawned some distance away from him and races toward him, he jumps in, and rides off. But due to a combination of steering code, obstacle avoidance, and high speed, the cart ended up orbiting him at a long distance, trying to turn toward him but then moving forward so it needed to turn more. Every few seconds, you'd see the cart zip past on the horizon.

YOUR_OPINION >/dev/null

#29 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9997

8Likes

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

It seems that my vertex buffer stride was off-by-one. I call it "Origami World"...

25zi2bq.jpg

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#30 Mussi   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1970

3Likes

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

It seems that my vertex buffer stride was off-by-one. I call it "Origami World"...

I would drop all my plans and head into a new direction, that looks freaking awesome biggrin.png.

#31 Tom Mulgrew   Members   -  Reputation: 197

1Likes

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

When SVO ray casting goes bad...
Explodagoose
Managed to spare the head though (must save the brain!)

#32 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9997

0Likes

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:06 PM

And this is what happens when you apply your tetrahedron index buffer to a cubical-sphere mesh... "death by spirals"

death by a thousand spirals.png

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#33 TheComet   Members   -  Reputation: 1603

4Likes

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

Stumbled across this one on tumblr. How on earth does something like this even happen?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pQ_ZozZIio

YOUR_OPINION >/dev/null

#34 TheComet   Members   -  Reputation: 1603

6Likes

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:23 AM

tumblr_n8l3gicoIs1qdlh1io1_400.gif

YOUR_OPINION >/dev/null

#35 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3888

1Likes

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:53 AM

This isn't normal?
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#36 TheComet   Members   -  Reputation: 1603

5Likes

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

This isn't normal?

This is actual footage of Brazil playing against Germany

YOUR_OPINION >/dev/null

#37 Sik_the_hedgehog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1748

0Likes

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

I was going to make a Brazil joke but the uniform would have ruined it =/ (that isn't even remotely close to Brazil's)

#38 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13600

2Likes

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

Not my glitches but you can’t really have a glitch gallery without this:

L. Spiro
It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#39 Sik_the_hedgehog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1748

0Likes

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

BtzMe-nCEAAuPGD.png

Turns out that the explosions that appear when beating the final boss destroy the level itself. Literally. Um, wow. Not gonna fix this though.

#40 makuto   Members   -  Reputation: 851

1Likes

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

I just stumbled upon this bug yesterday while I was working on making enemies face you to attack you:

Twitch Video

It gets worse at 3:15

Want to get to know my work and I better? See my website: Au 79 Games

I wrote General Tips on the Process of Solo Game Development

PARTNERS