• Create Account

What should I use to build a 2D trurn-based game?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 ofir36   Members   -  Reputation: 110

0Likes

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:02 AM

I want to build a 2D turn based dungeon crawler game for PC.
My programming language is C#.
I started to learn XNA but then heard that Microsoft stopped developing it.
I also read that I can use unity with a 2D Toolkit but it costs money..

Another option I found is MonoGame.

What is the best way to go about building that kind of game using C#?

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17205

0Likes

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:35 AM

If you've already started learning XNA then sticking with that would probably be a good option!

Yes, Microsoft have stopped developing it, but that doesn't magically stop the existing framework from working -- it's a relatively mature and capable framework which can be used to make some great games, and there are plenty of learning materials and other programmers available.  XNA will no longer be updated to take advantage of newer technologies, but that shouldn't be a problem for a 2d turn-based PC game, and your learning experience will be largely applicable to MonoGame (and even slightly applicable to completely unrelated frameworks) for future development.

If you really want to move away from XNA to something actively supported MonoGame is probably a great option for you, but I would honestly recommend you just stick with XNA for now.

Hope that helps! smile.png

#3 Xanather   Members   -  Reputation: 703

0Likes

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

MonoGame development is very active, Ive completed dropped XNA and am now using solely MonoGame for development.

Source: I've commited to the MonoGame github once in a while.

#4 djtesh   Members   -  Reputation: 189

0Likes

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

I like the idea of MonoGame, but I think it is a fair point to note that it is not free outside Windows. You'll need Xamarin software to be able to test or deploy on Mac / iOS.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS