• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Coffee, the engine 0.0.2

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
21 replies to this topic

#1 skarab   Members   -  Reputation: 482

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

Hello,

Finally! Coffee, the engine is available, while it's an early release it already contain the wished features : deploying packages right from the editor, publish it on the Coffee Shop, and importing those as well.

Lot of work has been done to get this pipeline, website development, engine and tools...

It's young and a bit creepy, current price is really cheap, and will increase a bit in the future.

Links:

website

facebook

Thanks for your support.

coffee-box.png

Edited by skarab, 10 August 2013 - 10:20 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Toothpix   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 810

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

If your main product is a game engine, potential customers will be looking for galleries of pictures of your engine in action on your site. I only saw one picture of actual 3D, and it was in a corner and slightly hidden. Also, your web icon looks like the loading symbol, so you should change that.

Sorry for being in the peanut gallery. You have done more than I could have.

Edited by MrJoshL, 10 August 2013 - 04:09 PM.

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

#3 kd7tck   Members   -  Reputation: 715

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

No one will use it unless you offer a demo. People must be able to test the engine out. Otherwise good luck finding anyone that will doll out that kind of money, even if it is only 16 bucks. I hope you change strategies here, drop the licensing and do kick-starter instead to fund it until it is finished. Then when you have a finished product, sell it for 1,500 dollars instead. Just my opinion.

Edited by kd7tck, 10 August 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#4 skarab   Members   -  Reputation: 482

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

Yes, you both are right, thanks for your comments!

I removed the old videos from youtube channel just before the release, because they were old, maybe it was a mistake.

It's an early release you know, I'll add new fresh videos next weeks (first one has just been added http://www.youtube.com/CoffeeTheengine).

Sure, there will be an Indiegogo about it, I was just waiting to have a first consistent release.

But, the base price won't change that much (nearly 40€ per seat for the 0.1), and it's staying commercial, since it's already providing nice features.

I want to keep it cheap for Indies, as well as the open store, even if a game engine for 30 bucks sounds crappy.

#5 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 882

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

Provide a working demo. Your first (and only) video shows me how to buy the engine (!?), then focuses on the asset pipeline and then shows a 2D minesweeper clone above a very generic 3D scene. I'n not too sure that the 3D scene was generated by the engine.

Don't focus on the development pipeline. Anyone that is willing to buy your product will be more than capable of figuring that part out. Make some demos showing the features of the engine. I'm not buying it for the pipeline, I am buying it for what it can do. What can your engine do? I made a simple minesweeper clone many years ago using Windows GDI. I can make a textured and normal mapped cube with OpenGL by downloading one of the plethora on tutorials available online. Point is, cheap or not, I can do this now and for free.

Videos are great, but when I say demos, I mean an actual demo application that I can download that shows what the engine can do. Videos should be instructional. They don't give the same effect as actually playing something built on the engine.

#6 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20283

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

Videos are great, but when I say demos, I mean an actual demo application that I can download that shows what the engine can do. Videos should be instructional. They don't give the same effect as actually playing something built on the engine.

This, but provide both. The real playable demos to satisfy on personality type of your potential customers, but then also provide videos of you walking through the demo and explaining the features apparent in it to satisfy another personality-type of your potential customers.

I'm the type of person who won't download your demos, but will watch your videos. I only turn to the demos _after_ I've already downloaded your engine and am trying to figure out how to do something that is demonstrated in one of the videos.

And for me, videos are for demonstrations. For detailed instructions, I want text and images. I don't want to watch someone showing me something for 15 minutes that they could've summed up in two paragraph of text and a simple chart/image.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#7 skarab   Members   -  Reputation: 482

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

Working on demo and better videos sound good idea, thanks!

I've re-upped the old videos, not that useful but...

I'll participate at the Ludum dare 27, next week-end, at first it is to test the whole thing in a "dedicated environment" and show it a bit to other people...

I'm really not a good game developer (read: I plainly suck at gameplay), but it'll bring lot of things to fix/improve on the end,

the resulting game/thing will be used as a first demo (well second, minesweeper was first, just to test the GUI).

#8 skarab   Members   -  Reputation: 482

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

Done, here it is: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-27/?action=preview&uid=25221

A bit row, but I'll use it as a base project to improve/test things later on.

At least, besides all the bug fixes, I really learned that testing on real conditions is the key to stability.

Coffee 0.2 is on the way, there won't be new features for now, note that there will be a free/evaluation version as well.

Shadows, post-processes, better importers, particles, are already prototyped and on the roadmap, but pipeline and stability are the main targets.

#9 skarab   Members   -  Reputation: 482

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

Some updates:

- I've choosen new licensing model, wasn't even aware to be able to make it technically, but hopefully it is, so: FREE and PRO versions are available, right now :)

- An Indiegogo will begin the following week, this to fund the new Company (dedicated bank account, all money will go on build servers for a start)

- Coffee, the engine is now registered on http://devmaster.net/ which is a good starting point as well.

Happy with those news, will share followings here later on.

Thanks for your early support!

#10 skarab   Members   -  Reputation: 482

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:10 PM

Coffee 0.2.21 (PRO) and Coffee 0.2.5 (FREE) are out! http://www.coffee3d.net/

Indiegogo will come in few days, stay tuned!

#11 skarab   Members   -  Reputation: 482

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

deleted: wrong link.

Edited by skarab, 18 September 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#12 skarab   Members   -  Reputation: 482

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

Wrong link, here it is: http://igg.me/at/coffee3d/x/4574876

The speach text has been updated, a speech video will come the following days as well.

Please note that DevMaster features list is already outdated, will try a nice way to expose it on the website later on...

Edited by skarab, 18 September 2013 - 02:53 PM.

#13 skarab   Members   -  Reputation: 482

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

First press release is available.

... and next Coffee beta release is coming this week.

Featuring full Editor/GUI drag&drop support, user friendly Explorer (asset/resource browser), enhanced shaders/materials support, and bunch of bugfixes as usual.

The first games done with Coffee are available for free (final builds and project sources/assets), in the Coffee Shop, they will be extended for each releases.

Stay tuuuuned! ...and please, give it a quick look, when you are at Coffee pause! smile.png

Edited by skarab, 24 September 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#14 skarab   Members   -  Reputation: 482

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:07 PM

Coffee PRO 0.2.23 and Coffee FREE 0.2.7 are out!
http://www.coffee3d.net/blog/36-coffee-0-2-23

Website has been updated as well.

#15 skarab   Members   -  Reputation: 482

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

So the next version is coming, it fixes random crashes when reimporting assets in the editor.

... and, I passed the weekend to add kind of Soft Shadows on shadow volumes.

While it's a bit fake (depends of lights/tweaking), it works nicely and was easy to implement, apart from lacking documentation.

Basically it's done in two passes (kind of, fullscreen quads) per light in a deferred renderer, like any blur postprocess :

- first pass requires GLEE_ARB_stencil_texturing & GLEE_EXT_gpu_shader4, it's just a simple horizontal gaussian blur of stencil buffer, with radius based on distance sample/light & depth (& taking normals into account for artifacts)

- second pass just make the same but based on the output of first one, vertically (just no more stencil things)

- usual deferred light pass, multiplying final output by shadow buffer or one depending of Softness param

It's heavier than blur, cause you need usual pos reconstruction and things, but I was surprised of the perf on my cheap GT415M, and it's easily customizable for end-users, so it's in the release as well.

Other details here: http://www.coffee3d.net/forums/graphics/soft-shadows/54#p54

Edited by skarab, 30 September 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#16 skarab   Members   -  Reputation: 482

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

Mini bump: http://youtu.be/gop_hjfYHnA

About Indiegogo campaign: while there are 30 days remaining, it's already considered as an epic-fail. Not sure how the Indiegogo factor works, even some empty projects appear on the "most popular" pages, while coffee is nowhere. At least I tried.

PRO License of Coffee is fixed to $50.

See you.

#17 skarab   Members   -  Reputation: 482

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

Coffee 0.3 is out!

1379746_259490487532277_1064515748_n.png

Web: http://www.coffee3d.net

Facebook: coffee3d

Twitter: #coffee3d

YouTube: CoffeeTheEngine

#18 skarab   Members   -  Reputation: 482

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

#19 skarab   Members   -  Reputation: 482

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

Coffee Web Player is supported on Kongregate : http://www.kongregate.com/games/skarab24/yhtstfo

Not sure if users will accept it, will add direct deployment option in editor if it stays there a while.

#20 skarab   Members   -  Reputation: 482

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

A bit depressed, but I'm up for the Ludum Dare 28!

This will be a messy game with cube-ships and alien-cubes hacking...

edit: oh, and it'll add some little but useful improvements on Coffee as well.

Edited by skarab, 13 December 2013 - 04:31 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS