• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Sampling from a depth texture bound to the FBO

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 myers   Members   -  Reputation: 143

0Likes

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

On DX11, disabling depth writes allows you simultaneously to sample and depth-test against the same depth texture. This feature is useful, for example, for soft particles: without it, you'd either have to make a copy of the depth texture, or disable depth testing and lose early-z culling.

Is this supported in OpenGL 4+? If I call glDepthMask(0), is it safe to assume that I can sample from the depth texture bound as an attachment of the FBO I'm rendering to? I see nothing in the specs to indicate that it is. I don't notice any problems on my hardware, but I've found that a lot of off-spec behaviour works ok on Nvidia.

Edited by myers, 10 August 2013 - 11:21 AM.

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS