• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Here Is A Free Dirt Texture + Free Grass Texture

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Toothpix   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 810

1Likes

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

I made some programmer art. Here are my free textures, use them for whatever you wish. If you don't mind, please give me some criticism on them and what I can do better. I was aiming for a TF2-like cartoony look. They are all seamless.

Attached Thumbnails

• dirt.png
  • grass.png

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

Sponsor:

#2 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20300

5Likes

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

Nice job!

I guess it depends on the game, but I feel like they are too bright - even for TF2. Maybe once shadowed a little ingame they'd look better, but at full brightness the green one practically blinds me! The brown one is also too bright.

They tile noticeably, so even though they are 'seamless', they are also noticeable. Did you view them tiled? I have a small compact tool for Windows that I like to use, because it can rapidly be launched without bothering to interrupt or launch a larger program like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro - I've uploaded the free tool here on GameDev.

Copy+pasting the brown one into that tool, this is what you see:

o9ru.png

(The red box is added by me to highlight it)

Each repeat of the texture has four 'pinched' spots of noticeable tiling artifacts.

Not being a great artist myself (mostly into programming), I just finagle around with a texture for sometimes an hour or more reducing the noticeable spots as much as possible. Once you get rid of one thing, the next most distracting artifact suddenly stands out really badly - it can be annoying getting rid of them.

In your case, I'd offset the texture so the flaw is in the center of the texture, copy a part of a properly textured area, and paste it over the flaw with semi-transparent edges to hide it.

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 10 August 2013 - 05:39 PM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#3 Toothpix   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 810

0Likes

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

Wow, thanks for the great input! I learned a lot. Your program also is very useful. You are like me, writing a program for every little task just because.

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS