• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Mammoth Gravity Battles - 3D turn based gravity wars

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 SpaceMammoth   Members   -  Reputation: 115

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

Mammoth gravity battles is a turn-based strategy game with gravity, planets, physics, black holes, missiles, crazy weapons and best of all, woolly mammoths (in flying saucers). Coming soon to PC, Mac, Linux, Android, iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, Windows Phone, Windows Tablet, Ouya.

SS36.jpg

Mammoth Gravity Battles has a strong single player campaign, with varied missions and a range of opponents to defeat. Missions include targeting specific asteroids/planets, destroying a well defended base, defending a convoy and defeating the deadly missile cruisers. Multi-player is all about battles. Battle friends in a simpler 2D layout or more demanding 3D layout. You can completely customize the game to your liking, setting everything from number of planets or strength of gravity, to the types of weapons available.

s10.jpg

• Over 40 single player Campaign levels
  • Four player multiplayer pass and play battles
  • Try battles in both simpler 2D and mind boggling 3D levels
  • 16 different weapons; rockets, cannon, frag grenades, minigun, shotgun...
  • Collectable weapon system - turn the tables mid game
  • Varied levels create different challenges each time you play
  • Tactical gameplay, moving ships and planets
  • Destructable planets, fragment into asteroids that in turn can be destroyed
SS30.jpg

SS9.jpg

Please help us spread the word:

Sponsor:

#2 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 886

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

The graphics are amazing and I like the concept, but the implementation is flawed. I spent most of the time trying to figure out what the sliders do (they are not clear) and how they affected game play. I blew myself up twice and have no idea why. There is no visual indication of any sort that would give even the slightest clue as to the ultimate trajectory of the projectile. It is a guessing game. What does the green arrow indicate?

There needs to be very clear documentation and some sort of tutorial mode.

Edited by MarkS, 13 August 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#3 Counteractman   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

I like the theme too. But I only wish there was a stand-alone version.

#4 SpaceMammoth   Members   -  Reputation: 115

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

Mark S - yeah,  your comments are inline with other feedback I've had. The current demo is WAY too hard and the user interface does need some work. The green arrow indicates ship movement amount, but you have to set the movement amount above zero before you will see the ship move at all - I'll change it so there is no arrow until you have non-zero movement. To set movement you must first you click on the icon to the left to switch modes between directing the movement and aiming the shooting. When in movement mode the slider changes the movement amount. In weapon aiming mode the slider then does different things for different weapons. The interface is a little confusing - it needs work. 

I need to put out a simpler demo, the demo shows the most advanced mode and is too much if you jump in. There really is a playable game in there ;-). I think you are correct I need a really well designed tutorial, documentation is cheating - I believe a good game should explain itself.

What I plan to do, in addition to a few interface improvements, is have a very gentle tutorial/campaign mode. I will introduce a feature at a time, so the player learns how to play gradually. The first levels will be 2D only (same 3D graphics, but you can only aim right and left. This makes the game MUCH easier, and some people will say more fun. Gradually during the campaign, I add in new weapon types - bombs - the slider effects the timer, rockets - the slider controls the fuel/payload mix, guns - the slider controls the bullet spread. If I do this gradually, it should feel natural and keep the game varied.

Introducing 3D aiming is going to be the tricky part. Its really hard. Aiming in a moving 3D gravity field is incredibly difficult, and its never been done before - players will have tried worms or angry birds - that's a static ONE DIMENSIONAL (down) gravity field. I am talking about a dynamically moving fully 3D field. So I need to gently introduce the player to that as well, making the first 3D missions aim at large static targets. Its going to be tricky, but if I get it right the experience should be very rewarding for the player. What I must not do is loose the unique complexity by making the game too simple.

#5 SpaceMammoth   Members   -  Reputation: 115

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

Counteractman - When I've updated the demo I will release a stand-alone demo for PC, Linux and Mac. Probably in a couple of weeks time.

#6 SpaceMammoth   Members   -  Reputation: 115

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

Oh and while I work on a new demo, if you want to get a feel for how the game plays in simpler "2D" mode, have a play of Death Star Battles - http://www.deathstarbattles.co.uk

its a game I wrote years ago, but is fun and easy enough to play. Mammoth Gravity Battles in 3D mode plays like this.

#7 eljuko   Members   -  Reputation: 129

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

Looks stunning :] keep on good good work

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS