• Create Account

Skeletal or 'Precomputed'

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 v71   Banned   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 24 October 2001 - 11:26 PM

Hi i would like to get some feedback on that , what eould you like to see most in a modern engine , a ''precompiled'' animation ( fast but very rigid in capabilities ) or skeletal ( computational intensive , but far more flexible ) ? i''m coding both am i doing wrong or what ?

Sponsor:

#2 kmsixpence   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 24 October 2001 - 11:59 PM

computational

[Edited by - kmsixpence on October 17, 2005 6:59:27 PM]

#3 mittens   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1315

Posted 25 October 2001 - 06:31 AM

Skeletal all the way. Its a lot harder to code (at first), but its a helluva lot more flexible, and easier (you don''t have to work on a bunch of animations for each models, just ''bone'' it, and work on the animations via code or text).

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
ShiningKnight Games

#4 AlbertoT   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 25 October 2001 - 08:23 AM

ShiningKnight

No doubt that "Skeletal" animation is more flexible, easier and , let me say, less boring, but what about quality?
I suppose that a "precomputed " animation , based on keyframe animated files should be more realistic.

Thanks in advance for your reply

Alberto

#5 Mayrel   Members   -  Reputation: 348

Posted 25 October 2001 - 08:31 AM

I''d advise using a skeletal system, and compile the most common movements as and when they occur in the game.

Uuuuuulrika-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka

#6 ANSI2000   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 October 2001 - 08:36 AM

It wont hurt to have both...

This way you can use skelatal for a character that needs complex animations and KeyFrame for less complex caharcters. Plus the fact that you will need keyframing for other types of objects like cars etc...

#7 Ronin_54   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 October 2001 - 10:12 AM

Or use skeletal to create the precompiled animations.... Best of two worlds

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS