• Create Account

Simple question about tiled games

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 kuuujo   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:59 AM

I'm planning to make a simple, tiled, top view game (like first zelda's or pokemon). Something that would have a good performance also on mobile devices. I never did this before so I have basic question about the design of this type of games.

I have ground tiles that are all the same size (36x36), but I also have lots of smaller objects in game that fit in 18x18 for example. So in this case, should I break those bigger tiles into four and make entire grid 18x18, or should I just put together tiles of different sizes like puzzles and use another array only with 18x18 grid for collision? I don't know how it is done in those games. I really need good performance.

Thanks for reading!

Sponsor:

#2 gchewood   Members   -  Reputation: 236

1Likes

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

Assuming you're targeting modern smart phones, I doubt you'll need to worry that much about performance with a top down 2D styled game!

If I were you, I'd definitely go for the smallest grid size possible, for collisions, events etc as well as graphics. The main reason I can think of is that for some of your

bigger environment objects, you might want different parts to have different properties. So for example, if you store a tree as a collection of smaller tiles, you'll be able to

make it so the character can go beneath the top part of the tree but collides with its base. I imagine there'll be lots of other similar examples too.

A good idea might be to have a quick look at one of the RPG makers, they've pretty much perfected this type of thing: http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/

#3 kuuujo   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

Thanks, that answered my question. And it was really helpfull to see how RPG maker has it solved.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS