• Create Account

Tile-based, textured 2D side-view terrain - best way to draw?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pygmyowl   Members   -  Reputation: 114

0Likes

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

Pretty much what the title says. I want to implement something similar to what is used in Terraria: textured tile-based (by which I mean comprised of physical blocks - just in case) modifiable terrain (in 2D, side view). Except with a lot more tiles to draw (I intend to use variable zoom; my current hopes are to draw about 150,000 tiles at the camera's furthest, but I'd still need 4x4 textures for when the camera is up close). What would be the fastest way to draw this? Or maybe I'm way in the dream land here?

On a somewhat related note, I'm currently using textured quads to draw objects, because I've read that ID3DXSPRITE is deprecated, not as flexible, and so on. Is this true?

Edited by Pygmyowl, 17 August 2013 - 08:44 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 greenpig83   Members   -  Reputation: 326

0Likes

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:26 AM

ID3DXSPRITE  is very cool. I'm not sure in DX10,11. But in Dx9 it is very easy to use. You should use it for your HUD, menu...

Very fast and robust. Load an image to a texture. Give a pos, then draw (of couse use 1 begin/end for thounsands of draw call) ! NO need for batching, 1 draw call (this is a headache)...

But you will lack shader feature, blending is not very well supported (although you can do many kind, but alpha blending is useful only)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS