• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Salary of a game developer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 ~Tidus   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

Hi all, for a personal curiosity would like to know how much he earns a game developer (in America or Japan) and it is difficult for a foreigner get a job in this field

Thanks to all :D

Sponsor:

#2 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1688

0Likes

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

It's very hard to break into game development jobs, however an entry level programmer in the US can start out at $40,000 + a year.

I've seen job postings for senior programmers going for $250,000 + a year.

If you develop your own games ( and they become popular ), there is a potential of making $ millions. Markus Persson ( Notch ) has earned over $237,000,000 USD from MineCraft so far. LINK

Edited by Shippou, 17 August 2013 - 11:25 AM.

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#3 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10062

3Likes

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

Salaries in the Game Industry -- 2012 Annual Salary Survey (from this forum's FAQs - this thread was moved to the Job Advice forum).

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#4 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10062

0Likes

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

[is it] difficult for a foreigner get a job in this field[?]

Read FAQ 72 (I assume you are not a foreigner where you live, and you are asking about the USA)  FAQ 48 is about Japan. http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/breaking-into-the-industry-r16

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#5 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22222

0Likes

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

The salary survey is a good starting point. Note that salary is extremely location dependent, and that the salary a person earns is entirely up to negotiation.

The salary to someone in downtown San Francisco will be different from salaries in San Jose or Campbell or Vallejo or even Scaramento an hour or two away. A relatively short distance can double the salary.

It is also up to the individual. Many times I have seen similarly-talented individuals with dramatically different salaries. One person may have been hired when demand was low and the studio was simply staffing up generally. The second (with similar talents and skill sets) may have been hired when the studio was facing a specific need and was willing to pay a premium cost for specific skills. I have seen people negotiate significant salary differences, 50% or even 75% above their similarly-skilled and similarly-experienced peers, just because they were hired at a key time and had good negotiation skills.

The salary survey linked to above is very general and covers extremely wide regions. It is a very broad view and hides a lot of detail. The average salary in one area may be radically different from an average salary in a city a few hours away. The salaries inside a single studio can be radically different even for basically interchangeable developers. It is useful as a very general guide, but otherwise not so much.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

#6 bschmidt1962   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1872

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

The other thing to keep in mind about the salary survey is that, although interesting, is not necessarily going to be indicative of what real salaries actually.  It is survey, not a statistically valid random sampling.  This means it's biased by people who are responding to the surveys, who generally have been in the industry longer. In addition, a couple outlying high reports will skew the results (eg a 250k/yr programmer or a 200k/year composer, etc.) As a result, it tends to be on the high side, which can set some unrealistic expectations.  

Brian Schmidt

Executive Director, GameSoundCon:

GameSoundCon 2014:October 7-8, Los Angeles, CA

Founder, EarGames

Founder, Brian Schmidt Studios, LLC

Music Composition & Sound Design

Audio Technology Consultant

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS