• Create Account

The Week of Awesome: Unofficial GDNet Competition

• You cannot reply to this topic
133 replies to this topic

#41 Ecker00   Members   -  Reputation: 543

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

Team Snuti's Progress Update

Today, we've completed and integrated most of the soundtrack and sounds into the game. Also, we have finished a large portion of the art and fixed up a few issues from yesterday. 

This evening, we're focusing on getting the inventory system up and running and adding a few more assets into the game. Unfortunately, tomorrow we will be away for a day in London so we won't be able to do much on the game. 

Here is a brief clip of the game play so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WM5Z5yUq5A

The game is taking shape smile.png

We are updating every day on our blog. Check it out: http://blog.snuti.net

Attached Thumbnails

• friday_01_edit.png
  • friday_02_edit.png

Snuti Games on the web: Website - Facebook - Twitter - Blog

Sponsor:

#42 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1614

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

Dino Road Trip is done!

It is a simple driving game, where the goal is to smash up cars with your tail and gobble up pedestrians.

Hitting people will not hurt you, but eating them will give you "boost". With a full boost meter, you can go on a rampage, to rack up the points without getting hurt!

Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6pSRSjFGKQeZnpoTDFtUE9zR1E/edit?usp=sharing

It requires windows and java to run.

Some screenshots:

dinoShot1.png dinoShot2.png dinoShot3.png dinoShot4.png

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#43 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 19545

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

Making some kind of progress:

h1wd.png

Still quite a ways to go, and only 48 hours left, so we'll see whether my team can pull an entry off yet!

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#44 dmatter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3094

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

Just a quick update because sleep beckons me.

I've implemented a simple animation system, currently just applied to the legs of granny and the dinosaurs, so now they appear to actually walk. It's only a simple sine-wave interpolation on a loop parameterised by either time (for the dinos) or distance-travelled (for granny). It really brings the characters to life a lot more than animation-less sprites sliding around the place.

I now have support for a finite-state machine of game-states. So far I've added two new states: A start screen and a game-over screen (the latter of which may eventually show high-scores if I have time to do that, which is why I've left it so basic looking for the moment). Hopefully I'll be able to use the system to also display in-game help and to convey the storyline.

Screenshots as follows:

day-5-1.png

day-5-2.png

day-5-3.png

This also represents a milestone because I have now the full life-cycle of a game: start, play, win/lose & restart. (Although an absolute win is unobtainable since the game never ends). So I actually have a viable entry off the ground!

The game isn't very fun however, not yet anyway, because it's far too easy which is not surprising: unlimited ammo with rapid fire and slow moving, slow spawning dinosaurs. But I can now focus on making things more interesting. I've been able to free up some more time this weekend too.

BTW, I'm completely blown away by Ecker's video!

Edited by dmatter, 23 August 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#45 smr   Members   -  Reputation: 1638

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

... Sweet looking game ...

Freut mich :)

#46 The Kilted Coder   Members   -  Reputation: 160

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

Still needs a lot of polish between tonight and tomorrow, as well as a few more maps to play and transitional tweaks, but if anyone wants to test out my latest web build of Hobos of Pangea, it can be found Here.

TALLY HO!!!

#47 dmatter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3094

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

It's the end of Day 6 for me and it has been a fairly productive day. Largely spent just applying some small amount of polish.

I have improved the blood system and now have blood-spray when a dinosaur is shot and the spray splats onto the ground when it lands. With enough ammo it's quite fun to just paint the floor red, which reminds me, Granny now has limited ammo and ammo pickups to boot...

day-6-2.png

I have somewhat improved a case where dinos will pile-up on granny if she isn't shooting them down. Now, instead of over-crowding her causing all kinds of movement issues, they will spring back a bit when they collide with granny. For such a simple change it significantly improves the feel of the game for some reason.

The two major bits of polish are the cutscene system which is used to convey the story at the start and the in-game-help system which takes inspiration from World of Goo and Commander Keen by using a sign-post system to talk to the user. Signposts popup automatically when Granny walks up to them...

day-6-1.png

I've also managed to weave a leveling system through it all. Leveling-up won't be signaled in any obvious way to the user but rather it's used to drive the balance of gameplay as granny progresses through the world (ammo-drop spawn rate, dino spawn rate, signposts, terrain complexity, etc). I haven't yet spent the time to configure levels, hopefully I'll do that tomorrow before I submit.

Tons of other things I want to do but don't have time to implement them all, here's just some:

• Configuring levels to balance the gameplay
  • Music & sound
  • Highscore table
  • Background scenery
  • Health pickups
  • Money pickups
  • Other types of dinos
  • Decaying dinosaurs (for zombie dinosaurs they currently look remarkably intact).
  • Other types & styles of weapons/bullets/firing
  • Crosshair/Reticle
  • Less-blocky terrain

I don't have as much time free tomorrow but think I can pick off a couple of those at least.

#48 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 19545

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

Less than 24 hours to go. Rushing to get dialog working.

iulb.png

I almost want to pull an all-nighter, but got church in the morning... that gives me 12 hours to finish the game. Not looking good for team Dilophosaurus.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#49 tisdadd   Members   -  Reputation: 313

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

Well, my grand scheme isn't going to be able to be done in time... but at least part of it is. I too have church tomorrow, and as such am uploading what I have and will see how much time I get tomorrow. Wish I had seen this before Wednesday, and that my graphics and sound guy hadn't had to leave on Wednesday... I spent way too much time working on some rudimentary graphics after deciding that rectangles were not something that would be good to leave in. :P

And, my internet has almost finished uploading! Executable jar file... if you have java, just double click it and it works.

If you don't have java, you may download it here [http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp].

The actual game may be downloaded from here.[http://butishouldhavegraduated.com/extraFile/DinoTamer.jar]

I figure that I may as well do something with the website... though I may just draw more comics by hand now that I see how much easier it is from putting together this game.

Dino%20Tamer%20Screen.png

If I hadn't had to do art myself and had seen it sooner, I would have better art for one thing. :P

Also, each dino would have had to be tamed differently with some simple mini games... and I would have put riding in... and some platforming... may still swap it to platformer instead, but wanted to do something with the tamed dino. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

Then could eventually expand it to a world. 

I have to say, at the moment it is fairly lame, but if I have time I will tweak it tomorrow, add in more sound effects, maybe a better background.

Fix the graphics so you can see the players better when there are a lot of dinos...

Ah well, hope someone has some fun with it anyway.

Just happy that I was able to figure out the component entity system. :)

#50 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3573

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:50 AM

Don't forget to include my submission too :)

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

#51 indrajit   Members   -  Reputation: 164

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:11 AM

Hi every one..This is our  game.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bwh07hDJdwiPd2xVMFdCU01KV1k&usp=sharing

please give feedback..

thanku..

Attached Thumbnails

• concept art 2.png
  • Screen shot.png

#52 ryan20fun   Members   -  Reputation: 1031

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

Opps.

I am having a problem uploading my game( 1.7 MiB).

I proberbly need to turn images on to do this, But that causes loading to take forever sad.png

Is there another place i can upload my game to ?smile.png

Edited by ryan20fun, 25 August 2013 - 12:34 PM.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

#53 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 19545

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

Excellent, got out of church an hour earlier - faked a heart attack.

13 hours left to go, this is cutting it very close! All dialog text has been written and the level editor is functional.

I need to:

• Display the dialog on-screen, including branching dialog
  • Implement winning
  • Implement the end-of-game-screen
  • Scan and digitally color the hand-sketches the artist made
  • Slap together the world (already designed on paper) - hopefully the artist can take care of that, using the editor.

I was up until 1:30AM coding, and had to get up at 7am.

j/king about the heart attack - but thankfully did get out an hour early, since an after-service event was canceled. An hour extra programming makes a huge difference in polish.

#54 indrajit   Members   -  Reputation: 164

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

Hi here is our games latest version.Some changes here and there.

Please feed back..

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bwh07hDJdwiPZnJPd3ZWYzhRMVk&usp=sharing

#55 sketche99   Members   -  Reputation: 165

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

Ok here is my entry. Didn't get to spend as much time as i would've like on it. 1st work, then had a bad toothache and had to get the tooth pulled. So that put me out of commison for about 3 days alone there. But my game is basically you're a pterodactyl that has to survive for as long as possible in a post apocalyptic world. The humans are trying to shoot you down with airplanes. Thats it. No special power ups, ending screens, hidden characters or even extra levels. Just 1 level and see how far of a distance you can fly before you are shot down.

A webgame link can be found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68091416/dino%20flight/webgame.html

And a zip file of a windows exe can be found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68091416/Dino%20Flight%20winexe.zip

I have only tested the game on windows vista, but should work on xp and 7, not sure about 8 though.

Constructive feedback is welcomed!

#56 Oberon_Command   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1898

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

Not ready to submit my team's entry just yet, since we have much to tweak, but here is a teaser of the ending cinematic.

Yes, the dinosaurs built a rocket to stop the asteroid that would have otherwise caused the K-Pg extinction. tongue.png

Attached Thumbnails

• 39.png

Edited by Oberon_Command, 25 August 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#57 ryan20fun   Members   -  Reputation: 1031

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

Here is my game( it should be attached now unsure.png  ).

(busy doing it in peices)

Extraction instructions:

Remove the ".txt" from the extension.

The "Bin32*" Files need to be placed in a folder in the root dir.

"Part2" and "Part3" just need to be extracted to the root dir.

Attached File  Bin32(1).7z.txt   167.51KB   18 downloads

Attached File  Bin32(2).7z.txt   132.87KB   19 downloads

Attached File  Bin32(3).7z.txt   407.64KB   17 downloads

Attached File  Part2.7z.txt   301.02KB   16 downloads

Attached File  Part3.7z.txt   1.31KB   19 downloads

Attached File  Updated Bin32 Exe.7z.txt   31.01KB   14 downloads

I may upload the x64 binaries at some point or if someone want's them.

Is there a problem with the  uploader ?

I jeep on getting a "Upload Skipped (Error503)" or a I/O error.

--Edit--

Added a updated exe( changed the way i removed the dino's )

Attached Files

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

#58 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3573

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

Edit: nevermind, ryan20fun was working on it.

Edited by Endurion, 25 August 2013 - 01:42 PM.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

#59 indrajit   Members   -  Reputation: 164

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

Well, my grand scheme isn't going to be able to be done in time... but at least part of it is. I too have church tomorrow, and as such am uploading what I have and will see how much time I get tomorrow. Wish I had seen this before Wednesday, and that my graphics and sound guy hadn't had to leave on Wednesday... I spent way too much time working on some rudimentary graphics after deciding that rectangles were not something that would be good to leave in. tongue.png

And, my internet has almost finished uploading! Executable jar file... if you have java, just double click it and it works.

If you don't have java, you may download it here [http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp].

The actual game may be downloaded from here.[http://butishouldhavegraduated.com/extraFile/DinoTamer.jar]

I figure that I may as well do something with the website... though I may just draw more comics by hand now that I see how much easier it is from putting together this game.

Dino%20Tamer%20Screen.png

If I hadn't had to do art myself and had seen it sooner, I would have better art for one thing. tongue.png

Also, each dino would have had to be tamed differently with some simple mini games... and I would have put riding in... and some platforming... may still swap it to platformer instead, but wanted to do something with the tamed dino. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

Then could eventually expand it to a world. 

I have to say, at the moment it is fairly lame, but if I have time I will tweak it tomorrow, add in more sound effects, maybe a better background.

Fix the graphics so you can see the players better when there are a lot of dinos...

Ah well, hope someone has some fun with it anyway.

Just happy that I was able to figure out the component entity system. smile.png

Work on graphics pal.And I was not so clear about the attack mechanism.

#60 The Kilted Coder   Members   -  Reputation: 160

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

Hobos of Pangaea Has Been Completed!

(Or at least as finished as its going to get today smile.png )

Web Game is located HERE - (NOTE: Will only play on Desktop/Laptop browsers, not mobile device browsers!)

PC Zip File is HERE - (Includes EXE and Data Folder; no installer, open the folder and click the EXE)

Mac OSX File is HERE - (I was not able to test this... still waiting for a friend to verify everything works ok)

- There are FOUR Maps to play on, with one randomly chosen and loaded from the Main Menu "Play Game" Button, so play it a few times!

I had a blast this week!

Occasionally, I need the pressure of a deadline to give me that push to get things done, so THANK YOU GameDev.Net for giving me an excuse to ignore my family and skip out on doing dishes & laundry this week! biggrin.png

Edited by esmith1701, 25 August 2013 - 01:39 PM.

PARTNERS