• Create Account

The Week of Awesome: Unofficial GDNet Competition

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
128 replies to this topic

#81 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17035

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

Alright, here is: Dilophosaurus decision

Time is 10:58 PM, by my clock.

Wow, this was tiring.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

Sponsor:

#82 dmatter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2974

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

Not 100% complete either, but here's mine: http://gilldave.co.uk/Granny%20v.s.%20Zombie%20Dinosaurs.zip

#83 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17035

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

And a screeny:

ra7g.png

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#84 shadowisadog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2282

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:14 PM

Wow Servant, you certainly cut that close! I wasn't sure you would make it lol.

#85 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17035

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

Hahaha, yeah. I started to panic when DropBox was syncing uber slowly with four minutes to go, and wouldn't let me upload the link until it finished syncing.

I had to rapidly disable some game features to produce a playable build, and reused some dino art for multiple characters.

Doubly unfortunate because the artist had drawn unique appearances for all 11 dinosaurs in-game, and I only managed to color and put in 5 or 6 of them. sad.png

Maybe we'll do a Post-contest release in a few days that fixes the final mistakes and cleans it up properly.

Someone please tell me my team's game runs! We've been running it continually on two separate machines, via dropbox, but I'm super nervous.

Congrats to everyone!

I'm about to crash - I can only run on Dr Pepper for so long.

[Edit:] Google Chrome decides to mock our efforts:

xyer.png

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 25 August 2013 - 10:32 PM.

#86 Oberon_Command   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1794

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

Doubly unfortunate because the artist had drawn unique appearances for all 11 dinosaurs in-game, and I only managed to color and put in 5 or 6 of them. sad.png

Couldn't you have made the game black-and-white?

#87 dmatter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2974

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

So my submission was in, I cut it very fine and was hacking away until the very last second.

It'll require at least Java6 to run and is targeting Desktops (Windows specifically, but if happens to work on Mac or Linux then it's a bonus).

What did I manage to get done since my last update, quite a lot actually:

• Added music & sound effects - It only made sense to do so since there's a whole judging category devoted to it.
  • Added a crosshair
  • Made Granny aim her walking stick
  • Adjust the look of the bullets to be smaller pellets (since I didn't have time to implement varied gun types).
  • Added more kinds of dinosaur including both in-tact and decaying versions of each dinosaur
  • Added a highscores table - This was important to me as I kinda feel that if a game can't be won then 'winning' is getting a highscore.
  • Balanced the gameplay some more

The game is quite long, well, it goes on forever technically - but there is new content introduced at various points along the way and the gameplay changes as you progress. The assets folder is not embedded so the intrepid among you can take a peek in there and see what you're missing out on if you don't play all the way through.

Admittedly I didn't have time to do much play-testing so how fun/easy/hard the game will be is as much of a mystery to me as to any of you. So it's quite possible that a particular stage is too hard to complete or that all stages are far too easy. Unfortunately I also didn't have time to extract the level-balancing to a config file, so it's hardcoded and unchangeable :-(  Although I'd be happy to mod it on request.

Just playing it a bit and I already spot some non-critical but nonetheless annoying bugs, ugh.

I really hope it runs on someone else's PC unsure.png

Everybody's entries look great!

I need to get to sleep now though, but I'll play them all tomorrow.

Edited by dmatter, 25 August 2013 - 10:38 PM.

#88 shadowisadog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2282

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

@Servant: Your game runs on my computer! I haven't had time to play it through yet, but I did run it. The contrast on the dialogs was a bit hard for me to read but other than that it looked good!

@dmatter: Your game looked good! At first I was annoyed by the movement speed of Granny but it does fit the game well lol.

#89 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17035

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

I really hope it runs on someone else's PC unsure.png

Just to give you some ease of mind: It runs on my PC, starting up and getting to the fading out text "65 million years ago..." before I closed it.

I didn't actually play it though... way too exhausted. Will play it tomorrow!

[Edit - now tomorrow:] I played the game - it was fun! I ran out of ammo at a score of 1993.

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 26 August 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#90 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17035

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

@Servant: Your game runs on my computer! I haven't had time to play it through yet, but I did run it. The contrast on the dialogs was a bit hard for me to read but other than that it looked good!

Thank you! *breath of relief*. Yeah, the artist mentioned the dialog contrasts also - I improved them slightly, but I guess they need more work.

The artist was also a tad ticked off that the apostrophes and periods were so small with that font. mellow.png

Worst still, some of the dialog runs off the dialog boxes and isn't readable off-screen - we fixed most of that, but missed a place or two.

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 25 August 2013 - 10:41 PM.

#91 dmatter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2974

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:42 PM

@dmatter: Your game looked good! At first I was annoyed by the movement speed of Granny but it does fit the game well lol.

Yeah, granny's speed was set early on in development and I didn't really have time to circle back to adjusting that kind of thing.
It was always my plan to have a slower pace, arguably it's too slow though.

Just to give you some ease of mind: It runs on my PC, starting up and getting to the fading out text "65 million years ago..." before I closed it.
I didn't actually play it though... way too exhausted. Will play it tomorrow!

Awesome, thanks!
Now I can sleep :-)

#92 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6966

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

Well done everyone! I'll update the OP with links to everyone's games. Contestants, please let me know if there are any issues with the links I put up or if you have any questions.

This week I will create a thread for the community to vote on their favorite game (they will have 1 week to vote before the voting closes) for the People's Choice award.

The results from judging will be posted... someday. I'm not sure when exactly, as it depends on how quickly the judges can judge the games, but it should be in a reasonably timely manner.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#93 ryan20fun   Members   -  Reputation: 659

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:38 PM

You have some weird way to package your game, ryan20fun.

I put everything in the proper folder and uploaded it to my webspace. Hope that's ok.

This is ryan20fun's entry! Run the executable from root/bin32.

http://www.georg-rottensteiner.de/webmisc/bgh.zip

Thanks!!! :)

Note: I have attached a updated version of the exe in my previus post.

All i did was remove the bullet at contact time with the dino, That way multiple dino's are not taken out at the same time.

All you will need to do to use it is to: remove the ".txt" from the extension -> Extract -> place the resulting executable in the "Bin32" folder. :)

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

#94 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3173

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:52 AM

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1587/entry-2258640-week-of-awesome-my-game-reviews/

i just finished going through all the games, and giving them a review, except for 3 games.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#95 Ecker00   Members   -  Reputation: 543

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:46 AM

I Really enjoyed playing the submissions!

As I know my own game is not so straight forward I made a little gameplay video of the final game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IouXo10KniU

As being our first attempt at a basic story RPG I realise after lots of feedback so many things we should have done differently, but that's why we do these jams, to experiment and learn new things! :)

Snuti Games on the web: Website - Facebook - Twitter - Blog

#96 dmatter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2974

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

For anyone who's curious to know what kind twisted code and weird & wonderful magical numbers are involved in making a granny to battle zombified dinosaurs - I have uploaded the whole Eclipse project to github (which is something I don't use nearly enough). Check it: https://github.com/daveagill/GvZD

At some point I might right a post-mortem of what went right and what went wrong, etc.

#97 Marzdor   Members   -  Reputation: 180

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

Will more of these be held?

#98 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6966

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

Will more of these be held?

Possibly! There will certainly be more competitions here on GameDev.net (both official and unofficial), but when that future becomes a reality is uncertain.

If people want another Week of Awesome competition, I wouldn't mind organizing another one.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#99 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9582

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:01 PM

If people want another Week of Awesome competition, I wouldn't mind organizing another one.

I'd definitely be interested.

I wonder if there is a better way to notify about upcoming competitions. I somehow didn't notice this one till it was halfway over.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#100 Tha_HoodRat   Members   -  Reputation: 143

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

Could not finish the game Dinosaur Hunter within a week. Working a demanding schedule, a demanding social life. I will still finish making the game and release it for free and release the code for free.

I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS