• Create Account

- - - - -

Clarify @ vs & when registering application functions

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 BlackMoons   Members   -  Reputation: 425

0Likes

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:13 AM

Hi. I was wondering if I could get a little clarification on exactly what the difference between registering a function with & vs @?

Ie:

scriptEngine->RegisterObjectMethod("class", "void function(sometype &)", asMETHOD(class,function), asCALL_THISCALL);

scriptEngine->RegisterObjectMethod("class", "void function(sometype @)", asMETHOD(class,function), asCALL_THISCALL);

Just from messing around, It seems @ increments the object ref count for you while & does not (is that correct?) But @ works on types that don't have ref counting behavior too. Can you use @in or @out? or is @ always inout?

Should I be using & or @ in general? Or does that depend on if its a value or reference type?

Sponsor:

#2 Andreas Jonsson   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3290

0Likes

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

@ is called handle. & is called reference. To the script writer the difference is subtle, but the main difference is that @ can be null and can be reassigned after initialization.

On a lower level @ will always increment the reference counter, while & will not. Though with & AngelScript will often keep a hidden handle to the object to increment the reference counter anyway in order to guarantee that the object stays alive for the duration of the scope of the &.

@ can only be used with reference types that support handles.

in, out, and inout directives can only be used with parameter references, e.g. &in, &out, &inout. &inout is the same as &. With &in any changes to the referred-to-value will not be seen by the calling functions. With &out the initial value will be a default value.

Related articles in the manual:

Regards,

Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

#3 BlackMoons   Members   -  Reputation: 425

0Likes

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

Hm, So does &in and &out make a copy of the object when the object is a reference type? Or does that only apply to value types?

Or does &in/&out only make a copy of the *handle* and let you modify the handle when you pass a reference type?

I guess I should switch to &out for most of the pointers I pass out of angelscript? Since I don't want the user to be able to pass a NULL out (most of the time) and its kinda annoying having the ref counter incremented automatically on me. (Having a 'remove' function release it twice looks odd, as well as having add functions that shouldn't increment the ref)

Any performance issues with &out instead of @ ?

Most of these are pointers to functions too. I would assume they can't self delete till the module is released anyway, but I guess its better to use refs properly everywhere instead of depending on outside behavior to keep things valid.

Lead Coder/Game Designer for Brutal Nature: http://BrutalNature.com

#4 Andreas Jonsson   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3290

0Likes

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:23 PM

&in/&out will make a copy of the value/object the reference refers to regardless of the type being a value type or reference type. @&in or @&out will make a copy of the handle only.

You can consider the following translation

AngelScript    C++

&in                   & (where the parameter is not meant to be modified, even though it is not const)

const &in          const &

&out                 & or * (where the parameter is used as output parameter only)

& or &inout       & or * (where the parameter is used to pass an object that will be modified)

@                     *

@&out              ** or *& (i.e. where the function will create a new object and return it)

const @            const *

There is no specific performance benefit with one or the other, except possibly with the use of const &in, which in most cases will allow AngelScript to pass a reference to the true object without making a copy of it.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

#5 BlackMoons   Members   -  Reputation: 425

0Likes

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:10 PM

Ok, So if I want to pass a handle to a script function, from script to an application function, then I should be using @&in when registering the application function? or @?

Whats the difference between @&in and @?

Will the C++ function side be foo(bar**var){} with @&in?

The thing is I also have pointers to C++ classes passed to angelscript as ref types that I pass back out to my C++ application and must point to the same object when they come out. So I guess that rules out using &in and &out?

#6 Andreas Jonsson   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3290

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

If you want to pass a handle to a function (whether it is a script function or application function) then you'll most likely want to use @, which translates to * in C++.

If you want the function to return a handle in a parameter then you'll want to use @&out, which translates to ** (or *&) in C++.

I can't think of any reason to use @&in. It would also translate to ** or *& in C++, but this form in C++ is only usually only used for output and not input.

References that must refer to the original object, i.e. to allow the function to modify the object must not use &in or &out.

#7 BlackMoons   Members   -  Reputation: 425

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

Ah k, So I will have to keep using @ for most things since & causes object copies. Great. Guess I will just have to try harder to remember when angelscript increments the ref count.

#8 Andreas Jonsson   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3290

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

Hmm. I think you're misunderstanding things a bit.

& doesn't cause copies. Only &in and &out. When you use & without in or out, then AngelScript will send a reference to the true object. This only works for reference types though.

#9 FDsagizi   Members   -  Reputation: 514

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:24 PM

By the way, if you want to use & with out 'in' or 'out', you can set this:

script_engine->SetEngineProperty(asEP_ALLOW_UNSAFE_REFERENCES, true);

and this code, in scripts, will be walid

void SomeFunct( float &f ){
    f = 10;
}

#10 BlackMoons   Members   -  Reputation: 425

0Likes

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

Oh. I thought that & would still cause a copy when passing from angelscript to C++, when asEP_ALLOW_UNSAFE_REFERENCES was false.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Is it just when passing to angelscript that & makes a copy of the object if asEP_ALLOW_UNSAFE_REFERENCES is false?

Edited by BlackMoons, 23 August 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#11 Andreas Jonsson   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3290

0Likes

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

Just &, without in or out, will never make a copy of the object. It will always be the reference to the true object as the called function needs to be able to both read from and update the true object.

#12 BlackMoons   Members   -  Reputation: 425

0Likes

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:00 AM

Ah, So when does SetEngineProperty(asEP_ALLOW_UNSAFE_REFERENCES, true) come into play?

#13 Andreas Jonsson   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3290

0Likes

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

Manual: Custom options -> Language modifications -> asEP_ALLOW_UNSAFE_REFERENCES

Regards,

Andreas

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS