• Create Account

Help me understand how DirectX treats the W component

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 jdub   Members   -  Reputation: 419

0Likes

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

I have these simple shaders to draw a triangle:

cbuffer viewBuffer
{
	matrix view;
};

struct VS_INPUT
{
	float4 Position : POSITION;
};

struct PS_INPUT
{
	float4 Position : SV_POSITION;
};

PS_INPUT VShader( VS_INPUT input )
{
	PS_INPUT output;
	output.Position = float4(input.Position.x, input.Position.y, 0.5f, 1.0f);

return output;
}

float4 PShader(PS_INPUT input) : SV_TARGET
{
	return float4(1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f);
}

The triangle draws fine with these parameters.  However, if I change the W component of the Position for the output of the Vertex shader, the triangle doesn't draw at all.  I understand that having a 4 component vector is useful for calculating transformations using 4x4 matrices.  However, I don't really understand why changing W is causing my triangle to not draw here.

J.W.

Sponsor:

#2 Paradigm Shifter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5256

0Likes

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

The x, y and z coordinates end up getting divided by the w component.

What are you changing the w component to? 0.0 would not be good. Other values should scale the x, y and z in world space possibly moving the triangle off screen or beyond the clip planes.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

#3 nonoptimalrobot   Members   -  Reputation: 408

3Likes

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

When transforming vectors by matrices the w component has the effect of scaling the translational component of your matrix.  Consider the vanilla transformation matrix encountered while doing graphics work:

| ux vx nx tx|  |x|   |(x y z) dot (ux uy uz) + tx*w|
| uy vy ny ty|* |y| = |(x y z) dot (vx vy vz) + ty*w|
| uz vz nz tz|  |z|   |(x y z) dot (nx ny nz) + tz*w|
|  0  0  0  1|  |w|   |                            w|

The rotation and scale of the matrix is stored in the u, v, and n vectors and the translational component is stored in the t vector.  As you can in the right-hand-side the (x y z) components of the original vector where translated by w*t.  For directions w is set to 0 (or implicitly interpreted as 0) since translations are irrelevant to directions.  For points w is set to 1 (or implicitly interpreted as 1) treating the translation as expected.

Now for the good stuff.  Consider multiplying a point by a projection matrix:

| sx  0  0  0| |x|   |x*sx     |
|  0 sy  0  0|*|y| = |y*sy     |
|  0  0 sz tz| |z|   |z*sz + tz|
|  0  0  1  1| |1|   |z        |

The right-hand-side is the data spit out by your vertex shader.  For various mathematical reasons that I won't get into the GPU will clip data against the view frustum in this space and it is thus called clip space.  To apply perspective some magic happens, the right-hand-side gets homogenized or divide by its w component:

H( |x*sx   | ) = | (sx*x)    / z |
   |y*sy   |     | (sy*y)    / z |
   |z*sz+tz|     | (sz*z+tz) / z |
   |z      |     | 1             |

From here the right-hand-side is said to be in NDC or normalized device coordinates.  The z component gets directly written to the depth buffer, the x and y component are scaled and biased to generate pixel coordinates and the w component is simply discarded (it will always be 1).

If you are hand setting the w value of your vertex in the vertex shader you must take into account that the GPU will divide (x, y, z) by w to generate NDC coordinates.

[edit] I don't know what all that whitespace is...I can't get rid of it sad.png

Edited by nonoptimalrobot, 20 August 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#4 jdub   Members   -  Reputation: 419

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:00 AM

Thanks for the responses guys! I really appreciate it

J.W.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS