• Create Account

From one hemisphere of the brain to the other - Advice on utilizing C++

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Overmind5000   Members   -  Reputation: 116

0Likes

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

Hello.  You probably figured I'm one of those folks with an incredible idea that HAS to be implemented, but with no prior knowledge of what's ahead of himself.  If so, then you're half-correct.  I have some great ideas, but I've done my homework on the matter.  Originally I've come from the spectrum of asset creation, 3d in particular, and to be honest, I want to dive into C++.  And before anyone says anything, I say I care not for the manual.

I know steps beyond "Hello World" and have a good foundation on solving math problems in C++ and using headers.  My main trouble is pretty much typing up the code without template.  In the 3d realms where I commonly dwell, I generally practiced modeling from reference and previous creations, and had trouble with original concepts.  From what I'm seeing, the same behavior is also hitting my coding skills.  I ask you:  How do I tackle this?  I will be open to any advice on the matter, and I await any form of reply.

P.S.  I don't mind starting small projects.

Sponsor:

#2 Phil123   Members   -  Reputation: 557

0Likes

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

Have you tried creating a small project without using any reference templates at all?  If so, could you be more specific as to what the problem was?  (as in, did you forget what headers to include, or how to structure classes properly, or did you not understand what was going on, etc).  Some code examples also might help people analyze your problem.  And how long have you been coding for?  And in C++?

#3 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17013

0Likes

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

You probably just need more practice; you need to internalise all of those little details that you've been referencing from other sources.

You may benefit from more practice with smaller programs such as the problems presented by Project Euler or Code Kata, as well as working on small games like Pong, Breakout, Tetris, etc.  By working on small programs -- even if you do have to use reference materials -- you'll start to internalise many of the repeated details that form the basics of larger programs.  Try to work without references when possible, but don't hesitate to use them when necessary -- even experienced programmers regularly check documentation when working on non-trivial tasks!

We may be able to provide more specific suggestions if you can provide some additional details as Phil123 requested above.  Are there any specific problems you're having, or just general difficulties?

Hope that helps! smile.png

#4 MarekKnows.com   Members   -  Reputation: 427

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

Based on the OP message I assume you mean that you can get by in programming so long as someone guides you along the way, but you have difficulty coding up something on your own.  Is that correct?

My suggestion to you would be to find some tutors that can teach you the necessary skills you need.  If books are not for you then have a look at video tutorials.  There are a number of websites that offer training in a video form so that you don't have to read to learn how to do something.    Have a look here:

https://www.khanacademy.org/cs

---
Free C++, OpenGL, and Game Development Video Tutorials @
www.MarekKnows.com
Play my free games: Ghost Toast, Zing, Jewel Thief

#5 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5160

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

If you have basic C++ skills and just need to know how to structure a real game, the tutorial linked in my sig might be good for you.

Word of advice though, on both the graphic and programming side of the fence, you can't skip the learning curve.  There is no magic book or tutorial out there that will allow you to skip the learning curve, so dont bother trying.  Do something small until you succeed, then do something slightly bigger.  Repeat and rinse until you've accomplished your dream game.  Or of course decide this profession sucks and take up pottery.  Pottery is a very tranquil hobby by the way...

Oh and interestingly enough, the right brain vs left brain theory was debunked earlier this week!

Edited by Serapth, 21 August 2013 - 01:23 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS