• Create Account

false TOC for Game Programming Gems 2

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

#1 ugluk   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

I find myself confused by the false TOC (usually attributed to GPG2, circulating around the web):

Game Programming Gems 2

Mathematics

Algebraic Techniques
Trigonometry and Geometry
Linear Algebra
Matrix and Vector Operations
Advanced Mathematics
Ray/ Polygon/Polyhedra Instersection Algorithms
Handling Large Amounts of Polygonal Data
Triangle Stripification and Fanning Algorithms
Using 2D and 3D Billboards
LIGHTING: Multi-texturing to Achieve Lighting Effects
Shadow Algorithms
Using Simple Radiosity
Projected Texture Lights
Texturing

Using Texture Matrices
Bump Mapping
Cubic Environment Mapping
Procedural Textural Mapping
DYNAMIC POLYGON CONTROL: Parametric Curves and Surfaces
Subdivision Surfaces
Multi-resolution Meshes
Spatial Partitioning Schemes
Camera Techniques/ Movement Techniques
Graphic Effects

How to do Lens Flares
Weather Techniques
Sky Domes
Effective Clouds and Fog
Aliasing Effects (Anti-Aliasing
Motion Blur
Depth-of-Field)
Teleport Portals
Particle Systems
Animation

Inverse Kinematics
Blending Keyframed Animations
Solid Skinning vs.Hierarchical Skeletons
Using Motion Capture Data
Artificial Intelligence

Finite State Machines
Heuristic Tree Searches
Flocking and Crowding Behavior
Path Planning and the A*Algorithm
Music and Sound Effects

Blending Phrases in Interactive Music
Dynamic Audio Generation
Simulating a 3D Sound-Effect Environment
Using Music Cues to Initiate Game Events
Networked Play

Minimizing Latency in the Network Pipeline
Dead Reckoning Algorithms
Client/Server Design
Encryption Techniques.

You can see it here:

http://www.naturewizard.com/books_gp.html

http://www.asawicki.info/Download/Misc/GameProgrammingGemsTOC.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Programming-Gems-Vol-CD/dp/1584500549

But the TOC does not correspond to reality:

http://books.google.si/books/about/Game_Programming_Gems_2.html?id=1-NfBElV97IC&redir_esc=y

Does a document corresponding to the "false" TOC actually exist? What is the answer to this mystery?

Sponsor:

#2 Khaiy   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1342

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

The Google books link you posted looks like it's from another edition (possibly a non-US edition, given the language in the link?). The cover of the Google books link has the Arabic numeral (2), while the Amazon results I found all have the Roman numeral (II). Differences between editions is one possible explanation, though I was unable to see the TOC in the Amazon listings.

Where have you found the "false" TOC? A disembodied quote with no attribution, "circulating around the web" and supposedly "usually attributed GPG2" is no guide. Why are you searching for a book with this particular TOC? Are you sure it's not another GPG book?

#3 ugluk   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

I'd love to buy a book with such a TOC, however I am starting to suspect that this TOC is imaginary, a "false" TOC, belonging to no book. The google TOC is correct, while the top 3 links all feature the "false" TOC. I'd like to solve the mystery, if someone can help me point to it.

#4 Khaiy   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1342

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

Well, I'm stumped. Maybe you could try contacting the owner of the asawicki site, or naturewizard? They might have better information, since they both posted the quoted ToC.

The Gems books (at least the early ones) seem to be too old to have scans of their contents in various editions, so googling leaves us stuck with the second-hand transcriptions of random internet users. It seems odd to me that searching for exact phrasings of some of the more distinctive article titles only brings up the same few identical transcriptions.

#5 ugluk   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

Indeed, it is very cryptic and the ToC is highly seductive. I wonder why the disinformation is so widely spread. What were these people thinking? I hope someone knows.

#6 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3760

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

For anyone who might be interested, I guess TOC means "table of contents".

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#7 Malabyte   Members   -  Reputation: 583

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

I'm just happy I saw the TOC, so I got some ideas on what I can learn more about. :)

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

#8 ugluk   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:34 AM

Find the book with the TOC and then you'll known what book to learn from.

#9 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17280

0Likes

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

The different book covers do seem weird. The specific book cover you are looking for is the one on Amazon here.

Someone even mentions the exact same table of contents in a UK Amazon.com comment here.

I wonder if the Amazon title is significant? "Game Programming Gems 2 (Game Programming Gems Series) (Vol 2)"

Is the book Game Programming Gems 2? Or is it Game Programming Gems 2 - Volume 2? That might explain the discrepancies.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#10 ugluk   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:15 AM

This is what I thought, but I have a book with exactly the same cover, but the TOC is not the one from the comment. I wonder why people keep writing down the false TOC.

#11 Khaiy   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1342

0Likes

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

The convention on Amazon for this series seems to be that each sequel is marked as a different volume. I looked around, and I was never able to locate a volume for one of the books other than its position in the series (there doesn't seem to be a GPG2 volume 1, or a GPG3 volume 1 or 2).

To the OP, I think it's a mischaracterization to say that people keep posting the table of contents. It seems to have been placed on the internet maybe four or five times, and without any additional details (which suggests some uncritical copy-and-pasting, or something similar).

Have you tried contacting any of the people who have put up the mystery TOC yet?

#12 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17280

0Likes

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

The convention on Amazon for this series seems to be that each sequel is marked as a different volume. I looked around, and I was never able to locate a volume for one of the books other than its position in the series (there doesn't seem to be a GPG2 volume 1, or a GPG3 volume 1 or 2).

Yeah, I think I was misunderstanding it.

"Game Programming Gems 2 (Game Programming Gems Series) (Vol 2)"

It's almost certainly, "Volume 2" of the series, Game Programming Gems.

It should be written like:

"Game Programming Gems 2 (Game Programming Gems Series - Vol 2)"

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#13 ugluk   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:27 AM

I have tried to contact them, so far without any replies. But really, I don't really care what they might reply, if a book with the "false" TOC actually exists, I'd like to buy it.

#14 PeterStock   Members   -  Reputation: 371

0Likes

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

I got GPG2 out the library a while back, and it definitely had the 'real' TOC rather than the 'false' TOC. I found some of the articles useful, but the Gems books are definitely focus on a collection of quite specific things, rather than an overview of all things game programming (which the 'false' TOC seems to be).

Maybe you could make your own book by doing a search for each of the chapter headings smile.png

#15 ugluk   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

I've bought the book and was hoping, that it contained the "false" TOC, but of course it has the true TOC.

#16 Malabyte   Members   -  Reputation: 583

0Likes

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

The different book covers do seem weird. The specific book cover you are looking for is the one on Amazon here.

Seems like there's a rather big franchise of books, I counted 8 fricken volumes as of yet. I think this is totally legit. But judging from the collective price tag of those 8 book, it's also rather expensive.

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

#17 ugluk   Members   -  Reputation: 105

-1Likes

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:08 AM

The GPG set of books is very famous, but I wasn't doing a commercial. You can also borrow them from a library, download them illegally etc...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS