• Create Account

We have chat!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
21 replies to this topic

#1 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4766

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

We have chat. Its wonderful :')

EDIT: And I'm the only one online but it doesn't matter, had chat.

Edited by TheChubu, 21 August 2013 - 07:09 PM.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22736

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

There has been an unofficial chat channel in IRC for over a decade. It is #gamedev on AfterNet. The site even has a little web client that connects to it at http://www.gamedev.net/page/community/chat/index.html

I guess we'll see how the new one turns out. I doubt it will replace the IRC room any time soon.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

#3 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4766

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

Sceptic frob is sceptic :D

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

#4 Code Fox   Members   -  Reputation: 1810

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

So many folks online - every one of them AFK

Does Anyone Actually Read This ?

#5 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1776

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:06 AM

Chat????

Is it 1996 again?

#6 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4766

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

I wonder when browsers became capable enough to work with embedded chat windows in web pages...

#7 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22736

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

I wonder when browsers became capable enough to work with embedded chat windows in web pages...

Since before 2006.  The ChatZilla firefox plugin that let you do IRC in a window was released in March of that year.

In 2009, Firefox chose Mibbit to be their built-in chat handler, and that was first released in 2007.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

#8 cowsarenotevil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2103

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

Since before 2006.  The ChatZilla firefox plugin that let you do IRC in a window was released in March of that year.

In 2009, Firefox chose Mibbit to be their built-in chat handler, and that was first released in 2007.

I'm pretty sure it was long before that if we're including things that made use of Java applets or other common (at the time) plugins.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

#9 FLeBlanc   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3117

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

There has been an unofficial chat channel in IRC for over a decade. It is #gamedev on AfterNet. The site even has a little web client that connects to it at http://www.gamedev.net/page/community/chat/index.html

I guess we'll see how the new one turns out. I doubt it will replace the IRC room any time soon.

My project for the day was to lurk in that chat channel all day under various pseudonyms for evaluation purposes. The conclusion I have come to is that it is really not about game development at all. 

#10 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7622

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

My project for the day was to lurk in that chat channel all day under various pseudonyms for evaluation purposes. The conclusion I have come to is that it is really not about game development at all. 

It's about whatever the participants want it to be about. Anybody is welcome to ask game development questions at any point in time.

#11 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5451

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

The chat on this site wasn't meant to bypass the original IRC channel.. quite honestly I don't know why we removed that chat link originally but anything that helps people get together is pretty damn cool by me.

#12 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4998

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

I tried to use the chat, join the room, typed one sentence, and it kicked me out.  24 hours later I still can't use it.  I just get an error.

Oops! Something went wrong!

[#CHAT-03]

You do not have access to our chat room.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
Indie Game Programming

#13 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3984

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

I tried to use the chat, join the room, typed one sentence, and it kicked me out.  24 hours later I still can't use it.  I just get an error.

and what you said with that one sentence was pretty terrible mate, mods had to move fast=-)

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#14 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4998

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

and what you said with that one sentence was pretty terrible mate, mods had to move fast=-)

I know you guys are hard on moderators, but sheesh.  :)

Indie Game Programming

#15 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4766

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

Hm, 2006 is pretty new for me.

#16 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4998

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:05 AM

Is anyone else having trouble using the chat, or is it just me?

Indie Game Programming

#17 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3253

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:37 AM

I had no problem. Playing a bit with it, I guess I'll keep it open while I check the forums. Better to have it than not.

#18 FLeBlanc   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3117

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

Glass_Knife: I think I might have a memory of someone (don't remember who) either kicking or banning you, probably just goofing off or experimenting. Is there anyway the staff can check to see if you've been banned? Which leads to the awesome question of why regular users can kick/ban. Because I'm not a mod, yet I have kick and ban available to me right now. And giving mod powers to someone like me is just... well, it's just morally reprehensible.

#19 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3984

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

Glass_Knife: I think I might have a memory of someone (don't remember who) either kicking or banning you, probably just goofing off or experimenting. Is there anyway the staff can check to see if you've been banned? Which leads to the awesome question of why regular users can kick/ban. Because I'm not a mod, yet I have kick and ban available to me right now. And giving mod powers to someone like me is just... well, it's just morally reprehensible.

kick is available to crossbones+ members, i don't believe we have the power to ban though.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#20 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4998

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

Well I disagree.  :)  Still can't access the chat...

Indie Game Programming

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS