• Create Account

Type of Computer?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
58 replies to this topic

#41 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3699

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

... its really nice to be able to have VS open in the main monitor, a bunch of chrome tabs in the screen to the left (research)

Of course, research.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Sponsor:

#42 FlyingSatin   Members   -  Reputation: 283

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

As long as you are satisfied with your PC's hardware capablities (try Tom's Hardware), a field in which I am no expert, your PC is fine.

But for me, the most important piece of any modern conventional computer with good hardware is the software. I would use OpenBSD or Arch Linux, but no one uses BSD for gaming, and I am selling games, so I just use Linux Mint (I will never use Ubuntu) for development. If you really want "baptism by fire" and want to learn how a good system works from the ground up (and have an environment that will ultimately make you a better programmer), choose Gentoo. It is good for learning, but no one games on Gentoo. Choose Windows if you are a square conformist. Choose Mac if you want to go against every single logical choice ever.

#43 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9587

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:28 AM

so I just use Linux Mint (I will never use Ubuntu)

You do realise that Linux Mint is just Ubuntu with minor modifications to the graphical shell, right?

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#44 FlyingSatin   Members   -  Reputation: 283

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

You do realise that Linux Mint is just Ubuntu with minor modifications to the graphical shell, right?

Yes. I won't use Ubuntu because of the Unity shell. It is shit.

#45 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9587

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

Meh. It's a graphical shell. No more, no less.

Never quite got the obsession with particular desktop environments. As long as there is a file browser and a way to launch apps, what else matters?

#46 BGB   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1545

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

Never quite got the obsession with particular desktop environments. As long as there is a file browser and a way to launch apps, what else matters?

though not all that fussy, I personally prefer things using the traditional desktop UI design.

well, and the window-manager not stealing various keyboard keys for itself (the application may need them for things like shortcuts, and it isn't good if the window-manager renders an application mostly unusable, say, by having lots of random stuff pop up when trying to use an app...).

like, informally, the Windows keys belong to the OS/WM, as do CTRL+ALT+whatever and a few other special shortcuts.

most other keys, and most combinations of CTRL+whatever and ALT+whatever presumably belong to the app (well excepting the F-keys and similar).

#47 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5770

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

a good desktop enviroment enhances productivity, things like virtual desktops, window grouping, etc are all nice to have, the HUD in Unity is pretty darn useful when your applications support it. (last time i tried Ubuntu the application support for the HUD was kinda crappy out of the box though so it definitely needs more work before i'd consider switching).

My main problem with Unity is that its a pain in the ass to get window groups to work in a flexible way. (it groups windows by the owning application(like MS Windows does)), with Mint&compiz i can easily group my windows manually and for example have a group per project (Which is far more productive when you're working on multiple projects and need several different applications for a single project)

Edited by SimonForsman, 31 August 2013 - 04:34 PM.

I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#48 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9587

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

things like virtual desktops, window grouping, etc are all nice to have

Hah. I knew there was a reason other people spent less on monitors than I do wink.png

#49 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5770

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

things like virtual desktops, window grouping, etc are all nice to have

Hah. I knew there was a reason other people spent less on monitors than I do wink.png

I use multiple monitors at work anyway, the DE helps me jump between projects. (My boss would never agree to give me 3 monitors per project and an office large enough to hold them all, i got far too many projects on my hands for that)

I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#50 FlyingSatin   Members   -  Reputation: 283

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

As long as there is a file browser and a way to launch apps, what else matters?

What else matters is that Unity uses typically 3x more resources than XFCE and 4x - 5x more resources than OpenBox

Edited by FlyingSatin, 01 September 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#51 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3699

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

As long as there is a file browser and a way to launch apps, what else matters?

What else matters is that Unity uses typically 3x more resources than XFCE and 4x - 5x more resources than OpenBox

OpenBox isn't the standard in usability though.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#52 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9587

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:11 AM

My quad-core i7 dev box feels your pain. Oh wait, no it doesn't.

Seriously, unless we are talking about netbooks here (in which case 'usability' is a dubious term), what recent machine doesn't have enough horsepower to run Unity?

#53 FlyingSatin   Members   -  Reputation: 283

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

My quad-core i7 dev box feels your pain. Oh wait, no it doesn't.

Seriously, unless we are talking about netbooks here (in which case 'usability' is a dubious term), what recent machine doesn't have enough horsepower to run Unity?

It's not a terribly important aspect of it, but it is the same as visual beauty, it is just technical beauty. Unity is visually beautiful. It is technically beautiful as well, just maybe not as much as OpenBox.

#54 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9587

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

It's not a terribly important aspect of it, but it is the same as visual beauty, it is just technical beauty. Unity is visually beautiful. It is technically beautiful as well, just maybe not as much as OpenBox.

"Technical beauty" is a pretty odd metric to select software by. If you couldn't deal with Nautilus from a features standpoint, or something like that, I'd be more understanding.

I've run Unity on a variety of machines pretty much since it was first released, and I don't recall performance or resource usage ever being a consideration. It's not even in the top 10 contenders for resources on my devbox at work...

#55 Anri   Members   -  Reputation: 597

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

Even an entry level machine is good enough for programming. The specs for my current machine are as follows...

Dell Inspiron 1720

Windows Vista(32-Bit)

Dual Core 2.20 Ghz

3GB Ram

250GB harddrive

Gefore 8600m

Samsung 22" Syncmaster Monitor

...however, if you need to do any 3D art for your games then becareful because it can be very demanding hardware wise.  64-bit OS, a quad-core, 8GB Ram and the best graphics card you can get are recommended.  Otherwise, I wouldn't loose sleep over your system specs.

Edited by Anri, 05 September 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#56 Dwarf King   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1694

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Ubuntu? Ain't that just for doing homework on at CS departments? At school that is what I use. When working on more commercial solutions we are talking Windows 7 ultimate or Windows 8 Pro.

Desktop(self built with shameless blue lights all over it):

i5 2500K

8 Gig ram

ATI 6790

Lappy(one of these machines from Area 51 you know.... Shhhh! don't tell anyone):

i7 620m

8 Gig ram

ATI 5960 mobility

Well bask to Prolong.... fatherOf something blink.png  siblings blink.png  I know I know, fatherOf(x, y) :- married(x, f), motherOf(f, y). blink.png

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

#57 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9587

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

Ubuntu? Ain't that just for doing homework on at CS departments? At school that is what I use. When working on more commercial solutions we are talking Windows 7 ultimate or Windows 8 Pro.

It's the de facto operating system at every development shop that isn't Windows-centric.

Like Amazon, or Google...

#58 Dwarf King   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1694

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

It's the de facto operating system at every development shop that isn't Windows-centric.

Like Amazon, or Google...

Google play is what I would connect with Android phones for now. Amazon and games? I better check that out. Beside that I have used Ubuntu a lot. I must say I still prefer Windows. 

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

#59 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9587

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

Google play is what I would connect with Android phones for now. Amazon and games? I better check that out. Beside that I have used Ubuntu a lot. I must say I still prefer Windows. 

No, I meant that Amazon and Google both use Ubuntu internally. All our dev boxes run Ubuntu...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS