• Create Account

Music While Developing

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
30 replies to this topic

#1 Chill Dude   Members   -  Reputation: 108

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:01 AM

Hi everyone first time poster here so thought I'd keep it simple (please be kind!).

So I know this is similar to the existing music thread but whilst reading 100% Indie I saw that they're asking developers what music people listen to whilst developing and it got me thinking.  Now I know a lot of people prefer sitting in silence but I know a lot of people on here also like listening to a lot of different music.  As for me I do listen to a lot of music whilst working mainly both video game soundtracks like the Halo Mjolnir Mix and Harry Gregson-Williams's MGS music (ok maybe a bit obvious smile.png), but also for my sins an awful lot of J-Pop (on now haha).

Any thoughts?

Thanks smile.png

Edited by Chill Dude, 22 August 2013 - 03:07 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1664

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:05 AM

I tend to listen to Comedy Podcasts rather than music whilst coding.  If I do listen to music it would probablt be The Stones, Bowie, Placebo or Daft Punk.

#3 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1524

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

Music is too distracting - I have to have almost absolute silence when coding.

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#4 walsh06   Members   -  Reputation: 662

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:16 AM

Listening to Hans Zimmer usually gets some good work out of me. Or listening to lindsey Stirling

#5 Inukai   Members   -  Reputation: 1297

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

Japanese Nightcore. I don't understand japanese, so it doesn't distract me. It helps me to shut myself off from my environment.

Yes I am weird.

#6 fir   Members   -  Reputation: -460

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

I listen a lot music whole day but just not when

coding (I listen it after coding to get more close

to life and relax after coding)

When I code i love to watch the TV and got it

on; though i do not remember much of it, I need it

not to be bored with just coding whole part of

the day

(sometimes some good movie passes aside

my weak coding body, - Yesterday I seen quite good

documentary movie "Lucas vs people" - worth to see it,

(it is about the fandom critique about changes in SW 

Lucas made, surprising, deep and spirit raizing movie ) )

Edited by fir, 22 August 2013 - 09:59 AM.

#7 polyfrag   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1841

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

A lot if it is psychedelic trance. I downloaded so much garbage that a lot of the time I'm pausing to delete music.

#8 jjd   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2075

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

If I need to concentrate, silence is best. However, silence is not even close to possible for me at work so then I cycle through opeth, lamb of god, isis. If concentration is not critical, but I want to block the office chatter, I indulge in alabama thunder pussy, baroness, dethklok, mastodon, and kylesa.

-Josh

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

#9 fir   Members   -  Reputation: -460

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

A lot if it is psychedelic trance. I downloaded so much garbage that a lot of the time I'm pausing to delete music.

could you say some names, I would like to check this kind of music (the more psychodelic the best)

Edited by fir, 22 August 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#10 polyfrag   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1841

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

Some good ones

Astral Projection - Ambient Galaxy (Disco Valley mix)
Talamasca - Time Simulation
Infected mushroom - Desert Storm
Man with no name - Essence (Dayglo mix)
Space cat - Daybreaks
Man with no name - Lunar Cycle
Man with no name - Vavoom!
Vibe Tribe - LFObia
Vibe Tribe - Albert Balbert

#11 BGB   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1554

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

in the past, it was a lot of Trance and House...

more recently, it is lots of assorted Dubstep...

probably the most well known band in the genre is Skrillex...

but there are others (Knife Party, Zomboy, ...).

#12 kauna   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2508

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

Philip Glass

#13 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2140

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

For programming either Voivod (progressive trash whatever metal) or Soft Machine (fully instrumental jazz-rock). I listened to Master of Puppets while coding in Matlab though

#14 Ravyne   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 7369

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

I tend to listen to the kind of music I always listen too, its familiar and ignorable when I want it to be -- not in an unpleasant way -- just so that it can be background music. I find that listening to new music with very clear vocals is too distracting because I can't tune it out. Same for comedy, talk-radio, or news. I find that I don't actually need the music to concentrate, and in fact I barely notice consistent noise or silence of any type when I'm concentrating. Intermittent noises are more distracting, so I tend to use music either to cover them up, or to keep my subconscious energy levels up, especially when its late.

I listen to different things depending on my mood -- Metal and Industrial (Marilyn Manson, Orgy, NIN, Ramstein, KMFDM), 80s Dark Wave/Goth/New Wave (The Cure, Joy Division, Gary Numan -- Who I get to see next weekend!, The Birthday Massacre -- not really 80s, but sounds alike), and stuff that's kind of hard to categorize without overcategorizing (Abney Park, Stolen Babies, Dr. Steel).

For the heck of it, Here's one of my Spotify playlists.

Edited by Ravyne, 22 August 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#15 froop   Members   -  Reputation: 636

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

some cool instrumental hip-hop or whatever you'd call it

#16 cardinal   Members   -  Reputation: 884

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

No music at all. I don't need silence, but I can't think or concentrate with any sort of music playing.

#17 alnite   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2107

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

Trance, Techno.  I can tune them out because they are generally very noisy.

I can't listen to music however, when I read and comprehend.

#18 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7189

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

I've been listening to this a lot lately.

Edited by Promit, 23 August 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#19 Ichneumon   Members   -  Reputation: 128

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:47 AM

Never band music, or pop music. That would destroy the situation completely. Only soundtrack music, particularly with some ambient qualities. Ideally no singing or lyrics.

Listening to music (particularly from other games) with the same emotional style and impact as you aim for in the game you are working on is the best way to go if you want your work to be creative and productive in all the right ways.

#20 phantom   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7267

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

I tend to go through phases with my listening habits... for while I was listening to nothing but Frank Turner, then I switched (back) to drum and bass/dub step mixes, then it was across to metal/alternative bands, then Professor Green got me through a day or two and recently I'm on a Electro and Big Room House mix jaunt.

Lyrics tend not to bother me; I can code and sing along to them (either out loud at home or just simply mouthing the words at work)... depending on how things are going sometimes I'll even throw in a bit of air drums and/or keyboard for the heck of it (yes, at work).

The music itself isn't THAT important, I mostly use it to set my mood - if I'm sat in a chair, listening to D&B then my brain is conditioned to code... if I'm at the gym then it's conditioned to zone out and get back to me in an hour or 10km, whichever comes first biggrin.png

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS