• Create Account

32 flashlights + shadow maps

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 invutil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1914

0Likes

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

I want to give each of 32 or more players a flashlight that can cast shadows. I'd probably run off the multitexture limit with that many shadow maps plus specular and normal map. How do Left 4 Dead or Counter-Strike: Source deal with this?

Sponsor:

#2 Vilem Otte   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1562

0Likes

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

My appologize for just short answer:

Deferred shading + shadow maps works. Although you won't have 32 shadows simuateously visible, you just render what you need (which is detectible).

For forward renderers you probably need multi pass lighting. Although it's still possible.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

#3 kalle_h   Members   -  Reputation: 1568

0Likes

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

Shadow texture atlas.

#4 phantom   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7566

1Likes

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

How do Left 4 Dead or Counter-Strike: Source deal with this?

I'm pretty sure they just blend a texture over the scene to add light to where you are looking so they aren't real lights.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS