• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Tips on Learning Pixel Art?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Malabyte   Members   -  Reputation: 589

0Likes

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

Hey guys, as a would-be indie developer I've been looking into pixel art and trying to learn how to draw it properly. Now I've already found something interesting here, but I thought I'd ask if any of you could give some awesome advice as to where I should be homing in my research missile?

Thanks in advance.

----------------------------------------

Edit: lol one of us should definitely make a game where you literally fire a missile at an enemy to acquire information. happy.png

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

Sponsor:

#2 Malabyte   Members   -  Reputation: 589

1Likes

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

Sorry guys, I totally overlooked the sticky above. My bad. I also found a youtube tutorial that I'll be looking into:

Edited by Malabyte, 25 August 2013 - 05:51 PM.

#3 LorenzoGatti   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2738

1Likes

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:45 AM

I recommend forums for advice and critique, particularly Pixelation and Pixeljoint.
Produci, consuma, crepa

#4 Prinz Eugn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3658

1Likes

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

I recommend forums for advice and critique, particularly Pixelation and Pixeljoint.

I agree, I would just be careful to emphasize that it's game art since Pixeljoint in particular gets picky about artistic purity (like never using manipulation tools, limited pallets) that are less important for game art, where speed and volume are more important.

Some more gamedev.net links:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/creative/visual-arts/creating-good-game-art-when-you%E2%80%99re-not-an-artist-r3225

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/creative/visual-arts/the-total-beginner%E2%80%99s-guide-to-better-2d-game-art-r2959 (I wrote this, so feel free to ask me questions)

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/creative/visual-arts/better-programmer-art-r2594

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

#5 Malabyte   Members   -  Reputation: 589

0Likes

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

Ok, thanks again Lorenzo for those forum tips and those links, Prinz Eugn. I've put them on my itinerary list. :)

Edited by Malabyte, 28 August 2013 - 06:09 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS