• Create Account

We need your feedback on a survey! Each completed response supports our community and gives you a chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card!

Windows.h has just dissappeared!?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ubermeowmix   Members   -  Reputation: 340

1Likes

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:08 AM

I was coding some simple demo's, and then all of a sudden it came up with the following errors:

1>------ Build started: Project: Blank Direct3D, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>  main.cpp
1>c:\users\Me\blank direct3d\blank direct3d\main.cpp(1): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'Windows.h': No such file or directory
1>  DX11DemoBase.cpp
1>c:\program files (x86)\microsoft directx sdk (june 2010)\include\d3d11.h(27): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'rpc.h': No such file or directory
1>  Generating Code...
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I cannot reinstall DirectX as it fails everytime, and yes I've redownloaded the install file twice now.

What the Hell is going on, I did one demo using #include <Windows.h> that worked fine, now it's fallen on it's arse.

If you get near a point, make it!

Sponsor:

#2 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9306

1Likes

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:31 AM

Have you tried rebooting? It's possible your environment variables got overwritten or deleted somehow, which would lead to your compiler no longer locating particular headers. Rebooting should restore them to a correct state. If that fails, perform a global search on windows.h, rpc.h, etc.. on your hard drive to see what happened exactly, and report.

Less dramatically, maybe your IDE settings got corrupted (if you're using visual studio, it has some default search paths in which to find system headers, check in your project properties that they didn't get wiped for some reason).

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#3 Migi0027   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2137

2Likes

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:58 AM

In the newer versions of Visual C++, they are replacing the headers with newer versions.

I think Windows.h is now just Windows:

#include <Windows>

At least with me it is.

Hi! Cuboid Zone
The Rule: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to steal all their shaders!

#4 Ubermeowmix   Members   -  Reputation: 340

1Likes

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:03 AM

Rebooting did nothing, it seems only directX referenced files are showing up so I am uninstalling and reinstalling Visual studio and the DirectX SDK. It happened after I ran the code for a simple DirectX11 window. Was working fine then everything just dissappeared :S

Will let you know if it works, it's bloody frustrating. Everytime I have the time to really get going on a project, something kicks me in the nuts and stops me dead :(

#5 Acid-Chris   Members   -  Reputation: 500

1Likes

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:27 AM

Hasnt all of this been moved into the Windows SDK?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8279

Search for it, either Windows 7 or Windows 8 SDK's available.

download and install it, maybe it's something like that.

best regards

#6 Migi0027   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2137

0Likes

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

something kicks me in the nuts and stops me dead sad.png

I know the feeling, sometimes, stuff just doesn't work... dry.png

Edited by Migi0027, 26 August 2013 - 08:46 AM.

Hi! Cuboid Zone
The Rule: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to steal all their shaders!

#7 Ubermeowmix   Members   -  Reputation: 340

0Likes

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

Okay re-installation of both DirectX SDK's x86 & x64 and also Visual studio 2010 re-installation has left me with *expletives deleted* all to show for it! What the hell is going on, could it be my hard drive is on the way out? I don't get it.

#8 Ubermeowmix   Members   -  Reputation: 340

0Likes

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

I think Windows.h is now just Windows:

#include &lt;Windows&gt;

Nope neither show up in the auto complete drop down box, it's weird, checked the folders and the files seem to be missing :S

#9 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9306

0Likes

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

Okay re-installation of both DirectX SDK's x86 & x64 and also Visual studio 2010 re-installation has left me with *expletives deleted* all to show for it! What the hell is going on, could it be my hard drive is on the way out? I don't get it.

At this point perhaps this would be worth considering. I am still leaning towards a software issue, but maybe you should test the hard drive to see if it isn't failing (now would also be a good time to verify your backup system works.. if you have backups worth saving, that is).

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#10 Migi0027   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2137

0Likes

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:05 PM

Try re-downloading the windows SDK, and do please check your project dependencies!

Hi! Cuboid Zone

#11 imoogiBG   Members   -  Reputation: 1247

1Likes

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

Double check the project toolkit and build configuration.

#12 Ubermeowmix   Members   -  Reputation: 340

0Likes

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:14 AM

I've sussed it out, for some weird reason I ran the program once and it compiled, I ran it again and then it said all the includes were missing. I went back and tried the previously saved project which did the same. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it still wouldn't work. So after much swearing I went back and started a new project and copied all the files over, hey presto everything works again, no idea why as I never changed any include folders at any point. Hope this saves anyone else 2 days of messing about. Thanks for all the comments guys.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS