Seeking feedback on art direction for voxel based game

Started by
2 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 10 years, 7 months ago
Been prototyping a game concept inspired by Minecraft (who isn't these days?), and wanted to gather some thoughts on art direction.
I got the game concept down pretty good. It centers around building fortresses and then fighting back an invasion.
But I kinda want to explore the theme a bit more. I started down a path of a sci fi look, since there aren't too many games going that route with voxels. There are some cool visual effects that stand out when you creating a darker surrounding and adding light effects, when works well in a sci fi setting. But I'm curious if you all think another theme might make the game more visually appealing?
I had inspiration lately to perhaps shift the visual style to more of a retro look, so that you can create your own characters inspired by 8-bit and 16-bit gaming classics. Another game Cube World really did a great job going with a retro look and infusing that with RPG mechanics.
Curious what your gut reaction is, and if there are some tips on what look would resonate with gamers.
Advertisement

I prefer Quake 1 before Quake 2 because the high tech sci-fi style don't have enough color and natural structure for my taste. "Jazz jack rabbit holiday hare" has one of my favourite visual themes that works well with voxels.

I prefer Quake 1 before Quake 2 because the high tech sci-fi style don't have enough color and natural structure for my taste. "Jazz jack rabbit holiday hare" has one of my favourite visual themes that works well with voxels.

Loved JJR!

I clearly skew towards more retro loving and my age shows when I say that. I know there's a segment of gamers who feel the same, just wondering whether the younger generation views that as something else (ie. cute? colorful?) or does retro only resonate with an older segment?

Anyways, I ended up creating a prototype to get a feel for the visual direction. If you want to check it out, stop by here. You can't interact with anything, but you can fly around a flying fortress:)

Well, I really like both retro and also cartoonish looking characters that contrast with amazing game effects, as if the old warriors found new life and power in modern times. Contrast can sometimes really bedazzle the players. tongue.png

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement