• Create Account

Graphics Programming and Tool (the band)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Z   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5062

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

This topic might legitimately be put into the one of the social forums, but I wanted to be sure to reach as many graphics programmers as possible.  Through lots of discussions with other graphics programmers throughout the years, I have started to notice a relatively strong correlation between being interested in graphics and the rock band Tool.  I personally really like the band (they are actually my favorite...), but they definitely are not for everyone.

There seems to be a sufficient correlation to put it to the test - I would like to know if you meet the following criteria:

1. You are interested enough in graphics programming that you regularly visit this forum.

2. You have at least one Tool album, digital music purchase, streaming radio station, or other option.

This is purely out of interest, and I'm curious to see how many of you have the same interest that I do!  Any other comments about this potential link are also welcome - including confirmation or refutation :)

Sponsor:

#2 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8870

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

I meet only one of the two criteria. You'll have to guess which, though.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#3 CDProp   Members   -  Reputation: 959

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

I think I've heard a Tool song before, but I don't know what it's called.

#4 Tasaq   Members   -  Reputation: 1235

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

I've never heard of this Band. So I only met the first criterion :)

#5 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7189

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

I like Forty Six and Two. Been meaning to look up others. Pretty sure this thread belongs nowhere near the technical forums but I'm gonna let it slide with the magic "leave link in forum" biggrin.png

Edited by Promit, 01 September 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#6 imoogiBG   Members   -  Reputation: 1185

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

'Tool' is OK but it is not my style. Maybe I'm not pro enough to appreciate that music. :D Only time can tell :)

Acutually I have some similar experiences...

People who like to program are listening to electronic(chillout or trance) or metal/rock music.

If you are a programmer and you love metal/rock probablly you will be OK(or even like) to listen to electronic music.

#7 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2126

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

guilty on both counts.

If you pluck me, doth i not bleed metal?

and over 25 years of graphics programming.

i was thinking of starting a post to see if anyone else occasionally codes to music, and if so which music.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1988"

rocklandsoftware.net

#8 CDProp   Members   -  Reputation: 959

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

People who like to program are listening to electronic(chillout or trance) or metal/rock music.

I listen to a lot of Bonobo. I don't know if that counts.

#9 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2141

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

1. I'm interested in graphics

2. I hate Tool....

#10 kunos   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2207

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

1 yes

2 not at all

Stefano Casillo
Lead Programmer
TWITTER: @KunosStefano
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

#11 SymLinked   Members   -  Reputation: 866

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

Never listened to Tool before, got no streaming radio station.. but yeah, I fit the "other option" :)

#12 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 11347

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

I definitely fit that criteria. I still have to see them live some day...

#13 Digitalfragment   Members   -  Reputation: 844

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

I don't mind Tool, but i prefer A Perfect Circle.

Don't listen to metal anywhere near as much as I did when i was a kid. It's mostly Industrial, Dubstep or other electronica these days.

Music helps drown out other peoples conversations while i'm working.

#14 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30384

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:40 PM

They're my favourite band too; I have all their CD's and have seen them live a few times. I smuggled in a DSLR and took these pics just a few months ago when they came to Melbourne biggrin.png

I do like listening to them while working too. Recently during work days, I've been using a pandora station that was seeded with Tool and Explosions in the Sky.

Interesting hypothesis... I've noticed in general a decent correlation between programmers in general and the metal genre (I'd probably call Tool 'prog metal' rather than 'rock', though I do often see them referred to as alt-rock or prog-rock).

Edited by Hodgman, 02 September 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#15 Jason Z   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5062

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

They're my favourite band too; I have all their CD's and have seen them live a few times. I smuggled in a DSLR and took these pics just a few months ago when they came to Melbourne 

Nice - thanks for sharing :)  I've seen them a few times, but they don't come around to the Detroit area very often anymore :(  Perhaps once their next album comes out we'll see them again...

Overall it looks like it is either a love or hate relationship among the responses here.  Even so, I'm happy to know that there is a following out there with the same interests that I have :)

#16 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13581

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

I’m not so into metal and I don’t think I have heard any of their things, or it was equally forgotten if I have.

To answer the question, I am #1 and not #2.

The music to which I listen when I program changes depending on my mood, but They Might Be Giants are the most frequent.

L. Spiro

Edited by L. Spiro, 03 September 2013 - 09:04 PM.

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#17 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2356

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

Well, since this is now in the lounge, I'll say that I really like Tool (awesome shots, Hodgman), but my interest in graphics programming has waned considerably :)

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

#18 Burnt_Fyr   Members   -  Reputation: 1241

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

I often find in life that people with common interests generally share more than one common interest. When I come across someone who shares one interest, but only one, the relationship generally doesn't last long. Might be some kind of uncanny valley there. That being said, their music, and heavy music or progressive music as general cases, are not always appreciated by the masses. 8 minute epics are either for you, or not for you. I am a huge prog fan, and Tool is likely my favorite band(So hard to choose). I've seen them 3 times, APC once, and puscifer last year. I find Maynard to be a fascinating character, and he is one of the few celebs who's brain I would like to pick. A true renaissance man.

For those who have not had the opportunity to experience them, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUXBCdt5IPg

#19 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2141

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

Heavy music or progressive music as general cases, are not always appreciated by the masses. 8 minute epics are either for you, or not for you.

I don't agree with that. I like Yes, who has some 20 minute tracks. I love Soft Machine (prog/fusion whatever rock) with many >10 minute tracks. I love King Crimson, that is progressive and sometimes heavy, and has many >8 minute tracks. Voivod and Frank Zappa has some complex songs and definitely not for the masses (except for Frank's parody music stuff). I like early Genesis too. So I can say I love progressive music.

My problem with Tool is not the lengthiness, or epicness itself. Maybe my problem with Tool and similar prog bands is that I feel they are trying too hard to be epic for the epicness, to be complex for the complexness, and progressive for the sake of progressiveness. Plus somehow they perfect the crap their studio albums until they become totally sterile for me.

But it's just my opinion, I just wanted to say that you can't draw any conclusions about someone's taste of music just from him/her not liking a particular (and quite widely known and popular from a genre) band.

Edited by szecs, 04 September 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#20 Burnt_Fyr   Members   -  Reputation: 1241

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

Heavy music or progressive music as general cases, are not always appreciated by the masses. 8 minute epics are either for you, or not for you.

I don't agree with that. I like Yes, who has some 20 minute tracks. I love Soft Machine (prog/fusion whatever rock) with many >10 minute tracks. I love King Crimson, that is progressive and sometimes heavy, and has many >8 minute tracks. Voivod and Frank Zappa has some complex songs and definitely not for the masses (except for Frank's parody music stuff). I like early Genesis too. So I can say I love progressive music.

My problem with Tool is not the lengthiness, or epicness itself. Maybe my problem with Tool and similar prog bands is that I feel they are trying too hard to be epic for the epicness, to be complex for the complexness, and progressive for the sake of progressiveness. Plus somehow they perfect the crap their studio albums until they become totally sterile for me.

But it's just my opinion, I just wanted to say that you can't draw any conclusions about someone's taste of music just from him/her not liking a particular (and quite widely known and popular from a genre) band.

I assume you meant perfect the crap out of their studio albums, which I would disagree with to a degree as well. As I said, I'm a huge fan of prog in general, and yes, genesis, Crimson, Zappa are all welcomed in my library... but... you don't like tool? There is that uncanny valley I was talking about {snicker snicker}

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS