• Create Account

What type of game can One person make ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 husainhz7   Members   -  Reputation: 118

0Likes

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:25 AM

I am quite experienced with unity, blender, gimp. I can make decent models and artwork. With these skills what are the possibilities of games a One man team can make. I would like to work on a small project ( 3- 6 months) and the game would last for 3 -4 hours (if not open world) here is the list of games i am interested in making

linear Fps (COD) ,

Fps rpg (dishonored),

open world Fps (far cry3, skyrim),

Portal like puzzler,

Action rpg (diablo),

2d top down rpg (zelda),

2d puzzle platformer ( Fez ),

2d adventure (Broken age),

Which of these is possible for a one man team? 2d or 3d?

Edited by husainhz7, 06 September 2013 - 04:17 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 18019

6Likes

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:38 AM

It really depends on you, on the amount of time and effort you're willing to put in, and on the tools you're willing to use.  It also depends on the quality of game you would like to have.

An open-world FPS such as Far Cry 3 or Skyrim is probably too ambitious for a single developer to create within such a short time -- unless you're aiming for a substantially smaller scale than those games -- but depending on your own skills and the complexity you're aiming for any of the others may possibly be achievable.

What games have you developed in the past?

#3 David Ga11agher   Members   -  Reputation: 129

3Likes

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:41 AM

Well I think they are all possible (if unemployed, have no girlfriend and don't have any other real world distractions), but it comes down to what experience you want the player to have and how much time it will take to create the assets. I personally think if you know exactly what you want to do (the vision) the programing side will be straight forward but asset creation is where your time will truly be magnified. if you are stuck making your own models, time how long it will take you to make something decent then average that out over the content you would want in the game. I have no choice but to work alone and all these thing I can see as being possible, as I meet the criteria unfortunately, but having a clear vision and absolute commitment to something is the only way to make it happen and I dare say it would extend over a year minimum. I could be wrong though lol, but from what I'm doing now that's how I'm feeling about it.

#4 Sacaldur   Members   -  Reputation: 489

2Likes

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

jbadams and David Ga11agher already pointed out the important things so I don't have much to say about the possibility of these projects.
But I want to add one point: don't focus to much on the genre! The genre says some kind of nothing about the final game as mentioned in one of the Extra Credits Episodes (I'm not sure about which one it was, but you could have a look at Extra Credits: Combining Genres). In an other episode if not the same they mentioned the difference between genres in film and literature. When you see a movies genre you know quite exactly if the movie is interesting for you while game genres focus on a specific mechanic or the point of view (_first person_ _shooter_, _plattformer_ (btw: in other locations referred to as "Jump'n'Run"s) and so on). I'll have a look fore the right EC video later...

As mentioned: the content will take a lot of time so you should not make a game which depends on much content. Shooter, RPGs and adventures (also action adventures) need much content to some extent. (Local) multiplayer games doesn't need much content or much mechanics in general to be very enjoyable. You may could have a look at these games. ;)
And don't forget about the sound and music!

Oh and by the way: Zelda is not an RPG, it's an action adventure! (Except for Zelda II maybe...)

#5 Scarabus2   Members   -  Reputation: 556

3Likes

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:03 AM

Oh and by the way: Zelda is not an RPG, it's an action adventure! (Except for Zelda II maybe...)

Seconded. Get your facts straight!

I just wanted to add it's perfectly fine for a single developer to start and fail as many projects as they like because that's how you learn.
Don't go out to make the next indie blockbuster. Just make something fun and learn from the problems you'll inevitably encounter during its development.
If you end up not finishing it, who cares? You would at least have learned something about your own limits and aspirations.

visualnovelty.com - Novelty - Visual novel maker

#6 Sacaldur   Members   -  Reputation: 489

0Likes

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

Zelda is an action adventure. (see Wikipedia or the answer on Yahoo Answers).
The main characteristic of an advantures is the puzzle solving whereas the main characteristic of an RPG is the character and it's progression in attributes and skills or the story. Since the main characteristic of Zelda is the puzzle solving (in every dungeon and between the dungeons) it's an adenvture.
The difference to classical adventure games (point&click adventures for example) is the involvement of the players skills into the puzzle solving. Thats why it's an action game - the genre is action adventure.
But I don't think this topic should be examined in this thread.

You reminded me of an other point:
I guess you (husainhz7) want to do also the game design part of your games. A rule of thumb for game designers is: the first games you make will most likely be bad so you should make them fast so you can move on to learn out of your mistakes an to make better games. It's possible to make a great game in first place but it's not very likely.
Maybe you already did some games so you don't have to bother about this...

#7 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 29567

3Likes

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

here is the list of games i am interested in making
linear Fps (COD) ,
Fps rpg (dishonored),
open world Fps (far cry3, skyrim),
Portal like puzzler,
Action rpg (diablo),
2d top down rpg (zelda),
2d puzzle platformer ( Fez ),
2d adventure (Broken age),
I suggest you look up the credits for all of those games in brackets. Out of all of them, the only one with anything anywhere near close to a 1-man team, is Fez, and it took many years to complete wacko.png

What games have you made before? Start small, and work your way up to increasingly more complex things.

#8 Ravyne   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7120

1Likes

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

In 3-6 months, what you'll have for some of those simpler games (a'la Zelda, Broken Age, Fez, and maybe Diablo) is probably a fairly functional engine and maybe an hour or two of unpolished content. There was a similar thread just recently in which I pointed out that polish is really the factor that determines time to completion. I, and probably most of us here, can knock out a C-grade engine with a few hours of C-grade content in 3-6 months. But bringing the engine and content to A-grade will take 3 times as long. This varies depending on experience, and we're talking man-hours here, so two people can do this in half the time, but realistically, 1 year is about the minimum for one person to produce 4-6 hours of polished content in any of those game types.

#9 husainhz7   Members   -  Reputation: 118

0Likes

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

Thanks guys.

Seeing that content will take time i shall think of 2d assets and try to make a puzzle platformer.

I will be using unity engine so that it knocks out lots of precious hours.

The games which I have made are too small to notice. I mad a sort of 3d first person maze were you have to collect flowers in unity. I am starting to work on a portal - like puzzle game.

I am a game Developer mainly, but also a designer. But I can do art as well.

And sorry for my ignorance Zelda is an action adventure. I wanted to stress its top down perspective and combat.

Any more suggestions will be very good.

Once again thanks, : ) 

#10 brunopava   Members   -  Reputation: 304

1Likes

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

What games have you made before? Start small, and work your way up to increasingly more complex things.

Yeah, thats exactly what I was thinking about. Yesterday I was watching the interview with Edmund from team meat and he talks about that.

http://www.design3.com/industry-insight/team-meat/item/2387-interview-with-edmund-mcmillen-of-team-meat

He says that a common mistake from game developers is start too ambicious and too big. My sugestion is for you to start with something really simple, and finish it.

Thats the whole point, finishing it. Try to start with something realistic and that uses your whole potential. Explore fully all that you are good at. 

Well, good luck on your quest and may the force be with you.

#11 S1G   Members   -  Reputation: 143

0Likes

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:55 AM

Start off intending on making an open world MMORPG and work from that. Through that process you will find your answer.

Edited by S1G, 08 September 2013 - 02:56 AM.

death metal

#12 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3052

0Likes

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:24 AM

None. I've heard Thomas Was Alone was made by a single dude. No idea how long it took however. You're better looking at indie games.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS