• Create Account

pick 3D cursor position sampling depth buffer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 Slig Commando   Members   -  Reputation: 334

0Likes

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

I am working on a method to pick in the 3d world and get the coordinates of where the mouse clicked on an object. Using the mouse x and y in viewport space along with sampling the depth buffer I should be able to figure this out, but I am a bit lost here. I can sample the my depth buffer(R32F format) by locking the surface and reading the surface bytes, but I am not sure how to understand that data.

if(_d3dDevice->GetRenderTargetData(_views[view].gBuffer._depthBufferSurf, _views[view].gBuffer._offscreenR32FSurface) != D3D_OK)

ErrorMessenger::ReportMessage("Failed to GetRenderTargetData!", __FILE__, __LINE__);

//Lock surface data

D3DLOCKED_RECT surfaceData;

_views[view].gBuffer._offscreenR32FSurface->LockRect(&surfaceData, 0, D3DLOCK_READONLY);

BYTE* bytePointer = (BYTE*)surfaceData.pBits;

//Get the index where the mouse is located

DWORD index = (point.x * 4 + (point.y  * (surfaceData.Pitch)));

//Dont know what the values I am retrieving represent. Depth buffer is from 0.0f to 1.0f but I am getting values of 107, 114 ect...
           //Read surface data

BYTE depth = bytePointer[index];

Sponsor:

#2 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10548

1Likes

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:49 PM

This is really weird, I just answered almost the exact same question...

anyway just compute the address of the texel, and cast it to a float.

float depth = reinterpret_cast<float*>(bytePointer + index);

#3 Slig Commando   Members   -  Reputation: 334

0Likes

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

OK, that seems to be giving me the correct value. So the next question is turning my x, y, and now depth value into a 3d position. My lacking math skills are holding me back and the only resources I have found online say to perform an inverse transformation on my x,y and z. But the inverse of which matrices I am unsure and my experimentation's have thus far failed.

Thank you for any help you can provide

#4 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10548

1Likes

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

Use the inverse of your view * projection matrix. This will take you from projection space, to view space, back to world space.

Also your X and Y values need to be normalized so that they're of the range [-1, 1], where (-1, -1) is the bottom left of the screen and (1, 1) is the top right.

#5 Slig Commando   Members   -  Reputation: 334

0Likes

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

Im sorry to keep bugging on this subject, but I am getting some wonky results. Here is the code

POINT point = _inputReader->GetCursorAbs();

//Adjust mouse position to client space
    point.x -= _views[view].location.left;
    point.y -= _views[view].location.top;

if(point.x < 0 || point.y < 0)
        return nullptr;

//Normalize mouse coordinates to [-1,1]
    D3DXVECTOR3 v;
    v.x =  ( ( ( 2.0f * point.x ) / _appWidth  ) - 1 );
    v.y = -( ( ( 2.0f * point.y ) / _appHeight ) - 1 );
    v.z =  1.0f;

//Get depth data into offscreen surface for reading
    if(_d3dDevice->GetRenderTargetData(_views[view].gBuffer._depthBufferSurf, _views[view].gBuffer._offscreenR32FSurface) != D3D_OK)
        ErrorMessenger::ReportMessage("Failed to GetRenderTargetData!", __FILE__, __LINE__);

//Lock surface data
    D3DLOCKED_RECT surfaceData;
    _views[view].gBuffer._offscreenR32FSurface->LockRect(&surfaceData, 0, D3DLOCK_READONLY);

//Get the index where the mouse is located
    DWORD index = (point.x * 4 + (point.y  * (surfaceData.Pitch)));

//Find depth
    static float* depth = new float;
    BYTE* bytePointer = (BYTE*)surfaceData.pBits;
    depth = reinterpret_cast<float*>(bytePointer + index);

//Unlock
    _views[view].gBuffer._offscreenR32FSurface->UnlockRect();

if(depth)
    {
        //Solve mouse world position
        D3DXMATRIX invViewProj;
        D3DXMatrixMultiply(&invViewProj, &_camera->GetViewViewMatrix(0), &_camera->GetViewProjectionMatrix(0));
        D3DXMatrixInverse(&invViewProj, 0, &invViewProj);

D3DXVECTOR4 out;
        D3DXVec3Transform(&out, &D3DXVECTOR3(v.x, v.y, *depth), &invViewProj);

*pos = LWXVector3(out.x / out.w, out.y / out.w, out.z / out.w);
    }

This is really bugging me. If I can get this down it will open up tons of functionality that I need. Thank you again

#6 Jason Z   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4846

0Likes

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

What is it that you are seeing that is wonky?  Are the results totally different than expected?  Do they come back infinite?  Try a test value that doesn't rely on the depth buffer and uses a known camera view position.  It is usually a good thing to try it with the camera at the origin and not rotated in world space first to ensure that everything else is working.  Just pass in a known value that you can determine what should be coming out of your conversion method.

Then try rotating the camera by 90 degrees on the Y axis, and reverify that it works.  Continue doing that until you are confident that your method works correctly.

#7 Slig Commando   Members   -  Reputation: 334

0Likes

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

Ok guys. Thank you for all your help. I have realized what is wrong and have fixed the problem.

#8 jkristia   Members   -  Reputation: 159

0Likes

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

I might need something similar soon, so maybe you can post what the problem was and the solution to it ?

Thanks

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS