• Create Account

Is source-to-game (JIT) common?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 C+=2   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

I've created modifications to Xbox 360 games before. But, one thing I found interesting was the games at their very heart were just source code with resources. Why? Is common for mobile or console developers? Would there be a reason behind JIT compiling a game on a specific platform? Seems useless to me. But there still has got to be a reason. Thanks in advanced!

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 19819

0Likes

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

I'm struggling to see the question....

I've created modifications to Xbox 360 games before. But, one thing I found interesting was the games at their very heart were just source code with resources. Why? Is common for mobile or console developers? Would there be a reason behind JIT compiling a game on a specific platform? Seems useless to me. But there still has got to be a reason. Thanks in advanced! 

Yes, games are made up of a program, and work on resources like models, animations, audio, and effects.

If you look at the theory of computing, program + resources is the absolute definition of what computing is.   

Can you clarify your question?  The way I read that, it seems like you are asking "Matter is made up of things like atoms, why? There has got to be a reason."

Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#3 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 18203

0Likes

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

Were you familiar with the language of the code you saw? Are you sure it wasn't just a scripting language used for only parts of the game?

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                            [Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#4 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 28614

0Likes

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

Would there be a reason behind JIT compiling a game on a specific platform?
You're not allowed to JIT compile code on X360, so if you see a 360 game using a language like Lua, then it's doing one worse -- it's interpreting semi-compiled (byte-code) with a VM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS