• Create Account

What to use for an UI?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 noatom   Members   -  Reputation: 712

0Likes

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

I want to create an editor for a game engine but I don't know what to use for the ui.

I don't want win32(it's too low level).What I want is something that doesn't take too much to learn(no,not you QT),and can be used with C++.

Alexander Turda - The place where I talk about games, coding, movies, and whatever passes through my mind.

Sponsor:

#2 ColinDuquesnoy   Members   -  Reputation: 968

0Likes

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

Well Qt is really easy to learn and use. I personnaly don't know any easier ui library for c++.

What's wrong with Qt?

#3 noatom   Members   -  Reputation: 712

0Likes

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

easy? i never actually played with it but i heard it's huge and it takes quite a while to learn

Alexander Turda - The place where I talk about games, coding, movies, and whatever passes through my mind.

#4 ColinDuquesnoy   Members   -  Reputation: 968

0Likes

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

You at least have to try to make your own advice.

I personnally found it pretty easy to use because of the great documentation and all the examples available.

Sure Qt is a huge library but you don't need to learn it entirely to get started. Learn the basic concepts (follow beginners tutorials) then learn to use some specific widgets when you need to use them.

#5 SuperVGA   Members   -  Reputation: 1118

0Likes

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

Win32 WinForms and GDI isn't that hard to use, once you get the boilerplate stuff worked out. Your IDE may even be able to do that for you - or even include a form designer.

#6 mdias   Members   -  Reputation: 738

0Likes

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

Go with Qt. It's very easy to learn and very well documented. Plus, it seems to get more and more features every release.

Qt is big, yes, but that's because it's more than a widget toolkit; it's a complete framework. It is however modular and I believe you can link to what you need only. If you with it you're also learning something which may be useful in the future if you develop for mobile devices, and you're making your editor more easily portable to other platforms.

#7 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1890

0Likes

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

Do you want something windows specific or cross platform?

If you want windows only, I'd go C# and winforms.

Cross platform, qt is probably your best bet.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

#8 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1688

0Likes

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

i've found that in-game editors tend to be more useful than stand alone editors, so  now i design all editors as modules that can be linked into any game and use the generic game graphics library for drawing UI components. 

in your case the equivalent would be to make the editor built into the engine and use the engine's graphics for drawing UI components.

examples:

gallery_197293_681_39669.jpg

gallery_197293_681_24387.jpg

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1988"

Help me out!     Check out Caveman and tell me what you think!     Caveman v3.0 demo beta download page:

https://sites.google.com/site/rocklandsoftware/home/cmbeta1

#9 skarab   Members   -  Reputation: 382

0Likes

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

Somebody told me I should export my GUI as standalone, maybe it makes a bit sense.

Besides meta system (C++ reflection), it's already kind of standalone system.

But note for now it's only 2D, haven't implemented rendering in 3D space yet.

Give a look on some of http://www.youtube.com/CoffeeTheengine

the editor and tools are using it, exclusively (OpenGL, but in abstracted renderer classes).

Depends of what you are looking, Qt works plainly on OpenGL as well in latest versions.

#10 osiris_dev   Members   -  Reputation: 232

0Likes

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:40 AM

Take a look on wxWidgets. It is good enough and simple.

#11 Vortez   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2297

0Likes

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

For my part, i like to use Delphi to build the interface, and one or more c++ dlls to handle the rest.

It's a bit tedious at first, but once you get the hang of it, it really pay off. I know you can do the same with c# but i never tried it.

There's also c++ builder but it's a bit old.

Edited by Vortez, 13 September 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#12 wintertime   Members   -  Reputation: 1538

0Likes

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

I read Delphi wouldnt be updated much anymore. People seem to use Lazarus/Free-Pascal now instead?

#13 Vortez   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2297

0Likes

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

Yea, Delphi is dead now, but it still work. I think Embarcado RAD studio is the new Delphi, but i've never tried it. I don't understand why people don't like

programming with pascal anymore, i mean, c# is good, but i find it harder to interface with c++ dlls and win32 stuffs, not to mention Delphi apps can run

natively without the need for the .net framework. It's also faily easy to create custom components (vcl) with it.

Edited by Vortez, 13 September 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#14 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7038

0Likes

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:34 PM

Yea, Delphi is dead now, but it still work. I think Embarcado RAD studio is the new Delphi, but i've never tried it. I don't understand why people don't like

programming with pascal anymore, i mean, c# is good, but i find it harder to interface with c++ dlls and win32 stuffs, not to mention Delphi apps can run

natively without the need for the .net framework. It's also faily easy to create custom components (vcl) with it.

The main issues that drove me away from Delphi (even though I spent nearly 7 years with it) are really:

1. not cross-platform at all (let's not even mention Kylix, that was a catastrophic failure)

2. no 64-bit version of the old-school Delphi that I could find (you know, before Delphi 8 "dot net")

3. many commercial blunders, that could have been handled better (i.e. Borland/Embarcadero)

So nowadays when I would've otherwise used Delphi, I use Free pascal, which is cross-platform, has 64-bit support, and is open-source. The only problem, of course, is trying to work with old Delphi applications which extensively use Windows system calls. Normally you can compile a Delphi program under FPC with no issues, but as soon as the dreaded "Windows" unit is included, all hell breaks loose and you need to invest some serious time implementing the missing bits in a cross-platform way. But it beats dealing with 1, 2, and 3, by far.

The only thing I really miss was those awesome skinning components (alpha controls or something), which are sadly not cross-platform. But it's ok :)

Anyway, let's not derail the topic too much. I think Free Pascal and it's FCL and the still state-of-the-art GUI form builder works great for making complex and elegant UI's, but C# and Winforms works just as well and has the benefit of some newer tools and - can be important - a larger user base and more active support. In any case, let's not forget the "best" framework is typically the one you are most familiar with, since most high-profile GUI tools pretty much all do the same thing (like most software, really).

But yeah, I would definitely +1 the recommendation of using the VCL or the FCL for making user interfaces. Just because it's old doesn't mean it doesn't work anymore (I really want to add "contrary to popular belief" here)

"The best comment is a deleted comment."

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS